Quadrafire Discovery 1 log size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shawoo

Nov 11, 2021
USA
Hi All,

First time stove owner here. I ordered the Quadrafire Discovery 1 back at the beginning of September and is supposed to be shipped from Quadrafire on 12/23.

First question is how has everyone's experience been with the stove? (Yes I know I should have asked this sooner)

Second question is what is the maximum log length on of these can handle. I am calling around now to order firewood and am finding that all the wood is a mix of 16-18" lengths. Manufacturer lit says 16" is recommended, but will it fit an 18" log ok? From what I understand, this unit has the same firebox as the Millenium 2100 if that helps.

Any advise would be apprecaited.

If anyone has a Quadrafire Millenium 2100, what size logs do you use? Do you have trouble fitting the standard 16-18" mixed logs?

I thought 16" was close to the limit, but could be wrong. I haven't seen this stove close up yet.

One of the things i've found is when the stove manufacturer calls for a certain size log its always best to go 1" smaller, this is because firewood tends to be miss-shaped and its nice having a little bit a wiggle room to optimize stove loading potential.

Hi All,

First time stove owner here. I ordered the Quadrafire Discovery 1 back at the beginning of September and is supposed to be shipped from Quadrafire on 12/23.

First question is how has everyone's experience been with the stove? (Yes I know I should have asked this sooner)

Second question is what is the maximum log length on of these can handle. I am calling around now to order firewood and am finding that all the wood is a mix of 16-18" lengths. Manufacturer lit says 16" is recommended, but will it fit an 18" log ok? From what I understand, this unit has the same firebox as the Millenium 2100 if that helps.

How are you liking the Discovery 1? I'm having one installed in my new home. There aren't too many reviews about it that I found so I'm curious about your impressions. Happy New Year!

Hopefully his wood is dry enough to use. Wet wood will distort the impression of any stove.

So far so good. Stove was just installed this past Wednesday (12/29) and yesterday was the first real fire we had in it (after the first two smaller tempering fires). So far I am very impressed by the design of the stove and happy with the purchase. Yes I was disappointed that there really isn't any reviews on this stove as it seems like a great option. None of the local dealers in my area even had any on display, so when they installed it was the first time I ever saw one. Let me know any questions you have, I'd be glad to answer as best I can.

20211231_163428.jpg

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Looks nice, it this on a porcelain tiled floor?
When you get a chance and more used to the stove, can you post a short review in the Ratings section? That will be helpful for future stove seekers.

So far so good. Stove was just installed this past Wednesday (12/29) and yesterday was the first real fire we had in it (after the first two smaller tempering fires). So far I am very impressed by the design of the stove and happy with the purchase. Yes I was disappointed that there really isn't any reviews on this stove as it seems like a great option. None of the local dealers in my area even had any on display, so when they installed it was the first time I ever saw one. Let me know any questions you have, I'd be glad to answer as best I can.

View attachment 288881
Excellent thanks very much and glad your happy with it. I've been a Consolidated Dutch and Hearthstone owner and have no experience with Quadra Fires. My local dealer recommended this stove to me as my heating needs in VA won't be as much as back in NY (I moved last month). Please post a review when your ready it's a nice looking stove.

No, this is ceramic tile over concrete. Ya I'd be happy to post a review probably in a month or so after I've had a chance to use it for a while.

Reactions: clancey
clancey

Hey Shawoo, How are you liking that Discovery 1 stove? I finally have a stove install date on 3/16/22 but won't move in till May. Hope your liking it.

Good looking stove. I hope you like it and still feel like you made a good choice, because I ordered 1 of these just today for install in a new home. Price has increased (what hasn't lately) to $2,179 now. Installation from an authorized dealer costing me $3,000 on top of that, for a straight up install through 8' high flat ceiling room, 2' of attic, and through a standing seam low pitch steel roof. Foam insulated house, so I'm hoping for the best on backup emergency heat and just good pretty flames in chilly weather. Reviews on the identical firebox Millenium 2100 are good- seems like a dependable unit with decent results. Ability to change out any standard 12x12 tile on the sides is a great little decor gimmick. Looking forward to using this stove this season as a first time wood stove owner. I hope I picked a winner.

Reactions: Wood Hunter
Good looking stove. I hope you like it and still feel like you made a good choice, because I ordered 1 of these just today for install in a new home. Price has increased (what hasn't lately) to $2,179 now. Installation from an authorized dealer costing me $3,000 on top of that, for a straight up install through 8' high flat ceiling room, 2' of attic, and through a standing seam low pitch steel roof. Foam insulated house, so I'm hoping for the best on backup emergency heat and just good pretty flames in chilly weather. Reviews on the identical firebox Millenium 2100 are good- seems like a dependable unit with decent results. Ability to change out any standard 12x12 tile on the sides is a great little decor gimmick. Looking forward to using this stove this season as a first time wood stove owner. I hope I picked a winner.
I'm anxious as well and hope we both made the right choice. This stove was highly recommended by my dealer and it also qualifies for the Federal Tax credit which is a nice perk. I had the chimney installed in March and the stove will be installed in a few weeks. It will be interesting to compare notes next heating season.

Can you cook on the Discovery I in an emergency situation? It's not a cooking stove, and we don't plan to use it as such unless the power is out for weeks, but the top does get hot enough to boil a pot of water, right?

If your wood is dry enough, and your chimney tall enough you should be able to. When the power goes out is not the time to try to figure out how to use equipment that your life depends on.

Reactions: goodthelife
If your wood is dry enough, and your chimney tall enough you should be able to. When the power goes out is not the time to try to figure out how to use equipment that your life depends on.
Definitely! Planning on using it as supplemental heat this winter. Thanks.
I noticed the PE T5 in your signature line. If that stove qualified for the 26% Federal Tax credit, and if they didn't have supply chain issues(!), I would be going with that one. Gorgeous stove.

We love this this woodstove. Emergency heating for most of our house, and a cooking surface. Efficient and nice looking. One of the best and most unique features is the ability to slide whatever 12"x12" ceramic tiles you want, down each side, to customize and change the look whenever you like. We put tiles in the sides which match the large format tile we put on the floor and rear heat protection wall. Floor tile is on concrete floor.

woodstove 1.jpg woodstove 2.jpg

That install looks great! I hope you’ve moved a bit of furniture in there since the pics were taken! I like the idea of being able to change the stove’s personality at will.

A stove, if taken care of, will last decades. That 25% savings, spread out over the life of the stove, doesn’t save much each year. I’d always recommend getting the stove you want to look at most. It’s a big part of your decorating!

Figured I'd chime in and say I'm very pleased with my first week of burning with the Discovery 1. It's 36o outside and 70o inside.

Hi All,

Most log size are listed by maximum that fit in the stove often not the right size for easy operation, my Jotul 602 says it will take a 16” log but anything over 15” can be a problem and in fact 14” is ideal.

Hi All,

We just installed the Discovery 1 in late Nov. You'll definitely want no bigger then 16", which will go in perpendicular to the glass door. You *may* be able to go 16.5-17" if you put it in diagonal, which might touch the glass (I'd recommend to avoid this situation) but this will mean only 1 -2 pieces of wood will fit. If you do have longer pieces, you can cut them in half and then put them in parallel to the door for overnight burn.
I really like the stove and appreciate that the firebox is higher then most stoves. Makes it nice to cook on (heated boiled veggies and tomato sauces so far).
Seem to have hot coals every morning (10 pm- 7am) which is easy to start wood in the morning. I'm leaving a good bed of ashes on the bottom under the coals, pushing them away from the front air hole and door jam.

The lower automatic air control lever seems to bind and VERY HARD to manually move when stove is hot (300-500F flue temp 18" from top of stove). Not happy about that but not sure if it's normal or something wrong with my unit??

Still playing around with it to figure out optimal settings for burn. Seems easy to run "low" around 200-250F by only putting in 1-2 bigger pieces of wood, but wonder if that's making creosote ? I have a 22' class A exterior chimney. A bit more challenging to get it 400-500F stove top temp. Due to the limitations in amount of firewood it holds.

Gotta be careful loading the wood to not smack into those top tubes, and pick your sizes carefully to fit multiple pieces in the small firebox.

So far, pleased with the stove overall. Curious to see what you think of it when you get it installed 😁

Nice looking stove. Looks very European.

We just installed the Discovery 1 in late Nov. You'll definitely want no bigger then 16", which will go in perpendicular to the glass door. You *may* be able to go 16.5-17" if you put it in diagonal, which might touch the glass (I'd recommend to avoid this situation) but this will mean only 1 -2 pieces of wood will fit. If you do have longer pieces, you can cut them in half and then put them in parallel to the door for overnight burn.
I really like the stove and appreciate that the firebox is higher then most stoves. Makes it nice to cook on (heated boiled veggies and tomato sauces so far).
Seem to have hot coals every morning (10 pm- 7am) which is easy to start wood in the morning. I'm leaving a good bed of ashes on the bottom under the coals, pushing them away from the front air hole and door jam.

The lower automatic air control lever seems to bind and VERY HARD to manually move when stove is hot (300-500F flue temp 18" from top of stove). Not happy about that but not sure if it's normal or something wrong with my unit??

Still playing around with it to figure out optimal settings for burn. Seems easy to run "low" around 200-250F by only putting in 1-2 bigger pieces of wood, but wonder if that's making creosote ? I have a 22' class A exterior chimney. A bit more challenging to get it 400-500F stove top temp. Due to the limitations in amount of firewood it holds.

Gotta be careful loading the wood to not smack into those top tubes, and pick your sizes carefully to fit multiple pieces in the small firebox.

So far, pleased with the stove overall. Curious to see what you think of it when you get it installed 😁
Nice write up Kim we too are pleased with our new Discovery I. You are spot on with the log size 16" (or smaller) is the way to go. I got used to the higher firebox right away and don't miss bending over to load the box plus having a supply of wood underneath is very convenient. I have not had a problem with the ACC sticking and I will admit I don't always open it when reloading a hot fire. I attached some info on the ACC from QuadraFire incase you don't have it. It hasn't been too cold here in VA so we have had no problem heating our 2k sq ft home (open floor plan). Thanks again for the write up and happy burning. Tony 20221019_065855[1].jpg

Attachments

• Quadra-Fire-with-ACC.pdf
    46 KB · Views: 134