Quadrafire Explorer I first burn question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drewsy64

Nov 9, 2015
Central Ohio
We just installed the mentioned stove in our living room, and today was the initial burn. However, once we got it up and running there was some smoke coming out of the front vents, directly under the top plate. Now, when we initially started our fire with kindling and paper, the entire firebox filled with smoke while the chimney heated up. Didn’t have any smoke leaking.

My question to you Quadrafire owners is this: did you notice any smoke leakage when you first used your stoves? My initial thought is that perhaps some of the paint/powder coat on the baffles was just curing and burning off. I’m hoping that’s the case but wanted to reach out to those who’d know. I don’t want to worry about nothing if this is a normal occurance. It seems to be airtight, and I hope I’m right about curing.

Any thoughts? For those who want to know:

25’ chimney with a 6” stainless liner. Inside attached to the stove is a 6” double walled pipe that runs approx 6’ and into the chimney. Draft isn’t an issue. I’ll attempt to post pictures if needed.

Thanks for your time!!

Was it a lot of smoke coming out the front vents or just a little? When you first fire up a new stove, the paint will begin to cure as the stove heats up. This can look like smoke in the beginning. Did you load the stove with more wood after the initial kindling fire?

Red,

We still have the stove burning, and there isn’t any more smoke coming out. It was enough smoke to cause a slight haze on the first floor of our house. Right now the only thing I see coming out of the vents is the heat mirage.

Right now the only thing I see coming out of the vents is the heat mirage.

More than likely it was just the curing process or maybe some flammable debris inside the outer jacket on the stove. If it does it again when you relight the stove after it is cold, I would look at the connection between the stove pipe and stove to make sure it is secure.

More than likely it is paint burning in.
I just saw that the small version of this stove can rear-vent into a masonry fireplace, something I would want. Please keep us updated on the performance of your stove, we'd be most interested to hear how it's working. :)
As an aside, you can put your exact stove model in your signature so that people with that stove can offer their input.

Woody

Sig line added along with avatar of the new stove. Hopefully they show up, as I’m using my phone to do all of this. It seems to be running fine now so thanks for your replies. Makes my wife feel better!!

Oooo, enamel too. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy one. Here, where the vast majority of stoves on craigslist are old Fischer Papa Bears, the chances of me finding an enamel Explorer on there are slim and none..and Slim just left town. ;lol

Haha, that was my wife’s idea. I love the old school black stoves, but I must say the porcelain does add a nice touch.

Yep, avatar and sig are up! ==c I think the Explorer 1 is the only one that rear-vents..

At the core of the Explorer stove line are steel stoves. They will smoke at first as the paint bakes in. This goes away after 2-3 hot fires. The flue direction is reversible on all of the Quad Explorer stoves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody Stover