Quadrafire feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tims5377

Feb 10, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Hello all! First time post here.
I have a Quadrafire Mt Vernon. It is an older model, I can get more details on it when I get home if required. My auger motor is not running at this time. It previously failed and swapping the motor fixed it. The motor that I put in came with the stove in a box of parts - I don't know if it was a new motor or not. I bring this up as this motor has only been in the stove for a few months. I am surprised that it has failed again.
Another interesting tidbit, when it started to fail to run this time, it would fail on Medium mode. When I would turn it to 'Quad' mode (High) it would feed.

Any ideas for the auger? I am planning on getting a new motor, but I can't be swapping it out every few months.

My second issue is regarding snap disc #2. Currently there is an orange wire coming into the disc and a black one going out. The black wire is not connected to anything. Would this be contributing to my issue? I have a photo of this on my phone that I will add.

Cheers!

Any pictures of that snap disk setup? Also, are you sure the motor is failing and that there isn’t something causing the stove to quit sending power to it. If the snap disk was jumped it could be the stove is clogged somewhere and the vacuum is low enough that the vacuum switch is cutting power to the motor. When was the stovepipe and exhaust motor and behind the baffles cleaned last?

Any pictures of that snap disk setup? Also, are you sure the motor is failing and that there isn’t something causing the stove to quit sending power to it. If the snap disk was jumped it could be the stove is clogged somewhere and the vacuum is low enough that the vacuum switch is cutting power to the motor. When was the stovepipe and exhaust motor and behind the baffles cleaned last?

Here is a pic of the snap disc. I am presuming the orange wire is attached to something. The black is simply cut/pulled out.

The stove definitely needs a good cleaning. It has been a month or two. I will go through the exhaust path and make sure everything is OK. Is there a way to see if the vacuum switch is cutting power?

Attachments

• 20200209_145602.jpg
    20200209_145602.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 116
This is the mt Vernon E2 schematic. The orange wire goes to the snap disc then out to the hopper switch then to the vacuum switch. If you have a wire loose I cannot see how it runs at all. All the schematics i have do not have any orange wires. So someone may have been into this.
7B7E526C-9BD6-40C2-ADCA-6D5B5C4F8FA1.png

This is the mt Vernon E2 schematic. The orange wire goes to the snap disc then out to the hopper switch then to the vacuum switch. If you have a wire loose I cannot see how it runs at all. All the schematics i have do not have any orange wires. So someone may have been into this.

My stove definitely is not an E2. I believe this is the correct manual for it: https://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/7005_151.pdf
Page 33 has the following wiring diagram, aaand as you said I see no orange on here.
1581422996564.png

ThAts a Mt Vernon original and that’s the capacitor for your auger motor. It definitely needs to be hooked up to work.

Ok thats what had me confused. The orange wire is just a filler wire color to complete the circuit. OF is correct the cap is needed to keep the auger turning correctly.

Does anyone have a photo of how this should be wired?

I believe that if you look at the (above & below) photo the yellow block thingy is the cap, which is still wired in my stove. I don't see the orange square (above my thumb) in any of the diagrams, which again has me confused.

I'll try and grab a better pic when i get home.
1581431400466.png

Its just a diff colored capacitor. The one you are holding in the picture does not need to be connected. The replacement motor has a new one (yellow box). Where does that orange wire on the snap disc go to? Somebody’s been into the harness and rewired things. But we will figure it out

I went through and deep cleaned.
When I plugged it in, the vacuum blower cycled up and a moment after it came up to speed i heard a click. I am guessing this is the vacuum switch and that it is OK. Am I right here?
I then went and tried a new auger motor plugged in and it did not turn.
I checked continuity across snap disc #2 and it is OK as well.
This leads me to believe that the black wire that is detached from snap disc #2 came off when I opened the door up or something. and that is where my issue is.

There are 3 crimp connectors that come out of the molex, does anyone know what these should be connected to? SSkyo you mentioned that the orange capacitor does not need to be there in lieu of the yellow one that is built into the motor harness?

Some more pics of what is going on...

Attachments

• 20200212_192034.jpg
    20200212_192034.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200212_192008.jpg
    20200212_192008.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200209_145623.jpg
    20200209_145623.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200212_192136.jpg
    20200212_192136.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 93
The black wire from the snap disc should go to the black wire for the motor. The orange drop capacitor can be removed. The red wire is only used on the motor side of your molex, the yellow capacitor connects it. So it is white to white blk to black red not needed

The black wire from the snap disc should go to the black wire for the motor. The orange drop capacitor can be removed. The red wire is only used on the motor side of your molex, the yellow capacitor connects it. So it is white to white blk to black red not needed
Thank you! I will give it a go when I get home and report back

We have a winner!

I rewired snap disc 2 and removed that orange cap. Tried it with the new motor and nothing.

I then pulled the vacuum tube completely (i had previously blown some air through it) and snaked it with a coat hanger. A bit of pellet dust came out. Snipped the stretched out ends and reinstalled.

We are up and running with the motor that I thought was faulty. Thanks for the help!