Quadrafire Thermocouple Cover - Breaking Down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ultrapellet

Oct 8, 2015
Southwest CO
Hi, is it a problem when the Thermocouple Cover looks like this? It has stuff flaking off, and bright white underneath.

I thought I remembered the stove guy saying you don't want this to break down and damage the part inside (mine is a CB 1200 insert with a very tight fit, and moving it around is not easy).

If it's going bad, any guess on how long it'll still work? Could I use it for 4 hours every night for the next week or two?

Thank you!

(EDITED to add more photos.)

IMG_5851.JPG IMG_5853.JPG IMG_5852.JPG IMG_5855.JPG IMG_5854.JPG

Last edited:
I clean my quad every other day. I use a soft toothbrush to gently brush off the ash off the thermal coupler. It might be easier to see what's going on if you clean it up a little

I clean my quad every other day. I use a soft toothbrush to gently brush off the ash off the thermal coupler. It might be easier to see what's going on if you clean it up a little
Thank you, and I just added more photos to the original post. The stuff is caked on pretty hard, and I used a green scrubbie pad to try and get a little more off. It didn't really budge (one flake came off, and you can see the new exposed area farther down) and I'm nervous about going after it too hard.

I don't use the stove for primary heat throughout the house (and I don't clean it often enough, probably). It's usually just a few hours at night for extra heat.

It seems like the white surface underneath is bumpy/uneven, which makes me wonder if it's breaking down.

There we go spending someone else's money again.;lol

I agree, replace the cover. Go ahead and use the stove with the old cover until your new one arrives.

UltraPellet, you also need to scrap out the carbon buildup better in your burn pot. It also looks like you are getting a buildup on the gate in the bottom of the burn pot.

As is mentioned on this forum multiple times, a clean stove is a happy stove.

Reactions: kappel15
That is a ceramic cover. Soak the end in some water, and you should be able to clean it up. kap

Reactions: Former Farmer
These quad burn pots can be real pain in the butt (for me) to clean! I'm using a tall flat head screwdriver and really working on it every other day to get a smooth surface. It takes a strong hand and my muscles are getting stronger every day lol