Quad MVAE thermocouple creep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
I have a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE manufactured in 2011. Runs great. Since it was installed in March of that year the only problem I've had (knock on wood) is an igniter failure. As you probably know, the ceramic cover that the thermocouple fits into is supposed to be right up against the thermocouple. This is to ensure that the t/c senses pellet ignition as soon as possible to prevent a shutdown. Over the course of the last year, that cover is creeping away from the t/c even though the clamp is tight causing the stove to shut down with a "Min Firepot Temp" error code. Curious if any of you that have an MVAE are having this problem and what you did to rectify the problem? Could the clamp have stretched over time from the heat, or am I just grasping at straws? Thank you and remember, no matter how cold of it gets, Spring is coming.

I have the cb1200 nd it did it also i took the cover out and adjusted the tc further into the bracket then put the cover back on it kinda preloads it like a spring and is always pushing to the end..

If clamp is a tad loose, try putting something in it, to help it tighten down on cover. May be time for a new clamp Mine is an 06, and have never had that problem. Or is it the tc that is pulling out of the cover? Are the wires hanging in their slot, so the auto-clean doesn't hit em? Hope you get it figured out.kap

I have a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE manufactured in 2011. Runs great. Since it was installed in March of that year the only problem I've had (knock on wood) is an igniter failure. As you probably know, the ceramic cover that the thermocouple fits into is supposed to be right up against the thermocouple. This is to ensure that the t/c senses pellet ignition as soon as possible to prevent a shutdown. Over the course of the last year, that cover is creeping away from the t/c even though the clamp is tight causing the stove to shut down with a "Min Firepot Temp" error code. Curious if any of you that have an MVAE are having this problem and what you did to rectify the problem? Could the clamp have stretched over time from the heat, or am I just grasping at straws? Thank you and remember, no matter how cold of it gets, Spring is coming.

Thanks to Sysko and Kap. Here's my solution (fingers crossed). First, I double checked that the bolt holding the t/c ceramic cover clamp is tight. It was. I decided to try using a piece of .003" feeler gauge (I must have six sets). I cut a piece about an inch long and slid it between the clamp and cover and tightened the bolt. We'll see how successful I am. I'll let you know.

Got my fingers crossed. lol kap

Thanks to Sysko and Kap. Here's my solution (fingers crossed). First, I double checked that the bolt holding the t/c ceramic cover clamp is tight. It was. I decided to try using a piece of .003" feeler gauge (I must have six sets). I cut a piece about an inch long and slid it between the clamp and cover and tightened the bolt. We'll see how successful I am. I'll let you know.

Just to close out this thread. While cleaning the stove this morning I could see that the t/c did, in fact, begin to creep a little so my above fix did not work. Conclusion: metal fatigue in the clamp caused by eight years of heating and cooling. Guess I'll just order another clamp. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Thanks everybody.

Reactions: kappel15