QuadraFire Voyager Grand vs. Regency CI2600 (HI400)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi, looking at these two inserts. Trading off pros/cons. Anyone research them and have anything in particular to mention? One big question is I heard the CI2600/HI400 is catalytic and as a result it burns slower, and causes the glass to get darker faster. Is this accurate? Main reason for the insert is ambiance and secondary heat source. Fire viewing is quite important.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, looking at these two inserts. Trading off pros/cons. Anyone research them and have anything in particular to mention? One big question is I heard the CI2600/HI400 is catalytic and as a result it burns slower, and causes the glass to get darker faster. Is this accurate? Main reason for the insert is ambiance and secondary heat source. Fire viewing is quite important.

Thanks in advance!
You definitely want to read the many threads on this site regarding the Regency CI2600 and the Hampton HI400. I believe there have been a lot of issues with air intake, dark sooty glass and other issues. I believe Regency may have corrected some of these issues, but I would really do your research before buying. I'm certainly no expert, but I recall reading quit a few threads on this site with owners posting a lot of complaints.

I have the QF Voyageur Grand. You can scroll down to my comments/review in this thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/quadra-fire-why-the-bad-rep.121562/page-3#post-2025974

I'm coming up on two years with it and still love the thing. I only have two issues, neither fully related to the insert.
1) A really strong draft due to large chimney prevents me from tamping down the fire as much as I would like. I'm sure this cuts into my burn times, but I'm not sure there's much I can do about that.
2) My local dealer doesn't seem to be very helpful. When trying to get quotes two years ago, I couldn't get them to even send me a quote. I had the contact Quad about it and then all of a sudden I got a quote with a really nice discount on the price of the insert! :)

The only real problem I've had just popped up last week. My blower motor always seemed a bit loud as in an electrical hum but seems to be getting louder. I pulled it and cleaned the fins, spun the squirrel cage and I don't think it bearings. It's actually more of an electrical buzzing sound. I'm inside the two year warranty by about two weeks, so it's all good if I can get the darn dealer to call me back. I've contacted them twice and was told the field service manager would call me back. Four days later and I have yet to hear back from them.

I'll be following this thread!

Cmarc - I just saw another thread where a lot of Jotul 550 owners were complaining about smoke when reloading (or opening the door for any reason) - they attributed it to the large door and shallow firebox. I would think the V. Grand may have the same issue then - do you get smoke when opening the door?

I'll be following this thread!

Cmarc - I just saw another thread where a lot of Jotul 550 owners were complaining about smoke when reloading (or opening the door for any reason) - they attributed it to the large door and shallow firebox. I would think the V. Grand may have the same issue then - do you get smoke when opening the door?

Occasionally if i open the door too quickly i may get a bit of smoke that pours in. But generally i crack the door for a few seconds which induces a draft and carries any smoke up and out. So I’d say for the most part it’s not a problem on my end.

thanks folks. After some consideration I decided to go with the Voyageur Grand. An interesting side note, the paperwork says the hi400 has a 2.6sqft firebox, but the grand has a 2.3sqft firebox. I'm not sure I believe this. The grand seems to be much larger tbh than the hi400 from an opening standpoint. Maybe regency is "inflating" their #s like they inflate their burn times?

Congratulations on choosing the Voyageur. I’m sure you’re going to love it. Be sure to install a block off plate to keep the heat from moving up the chimney.

Post some pics of your install and first burn.

About the draft - I had the same problem with my Qual stove and fixed it with aluminum foil. :)

I don't know what the insert looks like but I assume it's similar. The air control on the front of the stove controls a traigular shaped vent on the side of the stove under the right-hand side plate. There is a plate that slides back and forth but it only covers about 3/4 of the hole so there is no way to ever completely shut it off. I put some foil there and use the "stop screw" to hold it in place. That made a huge difference. This does not appear to be where the air pipes get their air from as it made no difference on them and there is a tiny hole down by the front lower air vent that I don't think I plugged so it's still getting plenty of air, but at least now when I shut it down it doesn't take 15 minutes to get a reaction.

I have the QF Voyageur Grand. You can scroll down to my comments/review in this thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/quadra-fire-why-the-bad-rep.121562/page-3#post-2025974

I'm coming up on two years with it and still love the thing. I only have two issues, neither fully related to the insert.
1) A really strong draft due to large chimney prevents me from tamping down the fire as much as I would like. I'm sure this cuts into my burn times, but I'm not sure there's much I can do about that.

IMG_20151230_130446380.jpg

About the draft - I had the same problem with my Qual stove and fixed it with aluminum foil. :)

I don't know what the insert looks like but I assume it's similar. The air control on the front of the stove controls a traigular shaped vent on the side of the stove under the right-hand side plate. There is a plate that slides back and forth but it only covers about 3/4 of the hole so there is no way to ever completely shut it off. I put some foil there and use the "stop screw" to hold it in place. That made a huge difference. This does not appear to be where the air pipes get their air from as it made no difference on them and there is a tiny hole down by the front lower air vent that I don't think I plugged so it's still getting plenty of air, but at least now when I shut it down it doesn't take 15 minutes to get a reaction.

Very nice. I definitely need to do something like that. Unfortunately thee Voyageur Grand has a cover plate over the whole side. This would need to be removed before I can get to where the controls are. Given the tight space I'll probably need to slide the insert out onto the hearth a bit to work on it. But when I get time, this is definitely on my to do list.

Thank you very much for sharing!