Qualities of silver maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Missouri Frontier

Feeling the Heat
Feb 5, 2013
NW Missouri BFE north of KC
I recieved 3 cords of cut split and 3 years seasoned silver maple from a kind, generous neighbor. I have 6 cords of other quality hardwoods C/s/s(red oak, shagbark, elm,cherry, hedge, hackberry) those 6 cords have only been up since January and I've been worried about trying to run them through my new cat stove. I plan to use mostly the good dry silver maple. What can I expect from the silver maple? Ex heat output, burn time, coaling, ash formation, ect?

Edit. FYI I doubt I'll burn more than 3 cords this winter. If I do I can slip some hedge splits in with the maple.

Last edited:
As a side question. The hedge I want to use as a mix in with the maple has been cut split and stacked for under a year but, my recollection from this forum is that hedge is pretty dry on the stump. True?

Load the stove up. It will burn faster than most. Just have to tend it more.
BTU's will be a lot less. Great idea with the hedge. That will get you through this year.

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
Thanks Pauly. Yeah I kind of figured it would burn a little cool and kind of quick. But, at least it's dry right!:)

Silver maple is a fine burning wood. Middle to lower on the btu scale, but easy to deal with. Lights fast, throws gobs of heat (albeit for shorter time frames) and it coals pretty well. Average ash to deal with.

Thanks for the input Jags. Any thoughts on the relative MC 6 month split and stacked hedge?

Thanks for the input Jags. Any thoughts on the relative MC 6 month split and stacked hedge?

Lots of variables to make any kind of quick call on that. I have had some hedge that was bone dry in 6-8 months and then I have had some that took 18 months to get burnable. Hedge is a slow burner to begin with, probably not something I would even try to burn if it was still on the wet side.

Cheapo moisture meter can be your friend.

Lower on BTUs but burns nicely, easy to light. I'd burn it first, maybe mixing it at night. I'd suspect 2/3 of that dry silver plus 1/3 cherry (or even 50/50) would burn nicely at night, extending your stockpile of really dry stuff to prevent burning the wetter stuff early. Wait as long as possible on that oak.

I recieved 3 cords of cut split and 3 years seasoned silver maple from a kind, generous neighbor. I have 6 cords of other quality hardwoods C/s/s(red oak, shagbark, elm,cherry, hedge, hackberry) those 6 cords have only been up since January and I've been worried about trying to run them through my new cat stove. I plan to use mostly the good dry silver maple. What can I expect from the silver maple? Ex heat output, burn time, coaling, ash formation, ect?

Edit. FYI I doubt I'll burn more than 3 cords this winter. If I do I can slip some hedge splits in with the maple.

Silver maple can dry out in a very short time so you should have no worries there. It's only drawback is that it won't hold a fire as long as most of the other harder woods. Therefore, I'd be aiming to burn the silver maple until the real cold nights set in and then I'd add some of the hedge and/or elm in. The cherry could also be burned along with the silver maple as that can lose its moisture quite fast.

I burn a lot of it here in Illinois and at times will blow you out of the house. As others have said it will not last all night but the heat is great . Last year when others were burning oak and so on in the day, We was burning maple in the day then at night burnt the hotter and longer lasting wood. I never turn it down. Matter of fact I just got about 2-2 1/2 cord of it split for next year.

For me, silver maple is perfect for this time of year. When the temps are in the 50's during the day and only go down into the 30's overnight it keeps the house nice and toasty without blowing us out. For overnight burns I throw a couple ash logs on top of the silver maple coals. In the morning throw some maple back in and we're burning again.

I don't have any problems getting overnight burns with larger silver maple splits in my cat stoves, but they've got pretty large fireboxes. I love the reliability (loses moisture quickly). cleanliness (bark doesn't flake everywhere), and the fact that in my stoves it never coals up - just produces a fine, flaky ash that falls right through to the ash pan. While it lacks the btu content of the more "noble" firewoods, I use it throughout the burn season.

I have to burn silver maple quickly. I let is season for too long, beyond 2 years, it starts to get punky. When it is seasoned right it lights quick and burns hot.

i figure I'll load down with the silver maple. i'll slip 4 or 5 hedge splits in with it. as dry as the maple is it should make up for some iffy hedge. in other words the entire charge taken as a whole should still be well with in the acceptable MC level. sound like im on the right track?

You're burning it in a BK so the only difference you'll notice is the burn time will be a bit shorter, probably wont notice much difference in heat output but with the long burn times of the BK it doesn't really matter, you'll still get an all night burn

good info folks. thanks for all the help. as a rookie I'd be lost without the free expert advice. any of you make it up northwest missouri way, i owe you a beer!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I'm burning silver maple right now and getting consistent 24hr burns this time of year. Is your Princess freestanding or the insert? I could burn silver maple all season long and get 12 hour burns even in the cold weather.

mines a freestanding princess parlor 2013 model. those burn times sound great. you think i might strech the mid winter burn times with the addition of some hedge splits. with my work schdule in need a minimum of 14 hrs even in the dead of winter. the house is super insulated. 3 inches of spray foam walls and roof. R19 bat in walls R23 bat in the ceiling.

mines a freestanding princess parlor 2013 model. those burn times sound great. you think i might strech the mid winter burn times with the addition of some hedge splits. with my work schdule in need a minimum of 14 hrs even in the dead of winter. the house is super insulated. 3 inches of spray foam walls and roof. R19 bat in walls R23 bat in the ceiling.

I don't think it'd be a stretch for that to happen, 12 hours happens pretty easy with just about any wood.

rdust, how full are you making the stove to get those burns?
Say, 8-10 medium splits? If so, that would save me a ton of wood using a BK.

Low heat demand this time of year so I don't have to pack it full. A load like this will get about 24 hrs. A mix of split sizes......

Reactions: PapaDave
I have to burn silver maple quickly. I let is season for too long, beyond 2 years, it starts to get punky. When it is seasoned right it lights quick and burns hot.

I have no problem keeping it 7-8 years or longer and it does not get punky.

i figure I'll load down with the silver maple. i'll slip 4 or 5 hedge splits in with it. as dry as the maple is it should make up for some iffy hedge. in other words the entire charge taken as a whole should still be well with in the acceptable MC level. sound like im on the right track?

You are pretty close. Perhaps cut back a bit on the hedge if it isn't yet ideal. Start with 2-3 splits and if it works well, the next time try 3-4 splits, etc.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.