Qualities of silver maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can, I would figure out which of the primo woods was driest, then stand a few splits around the stove. They will dry out pretty quick. As mentioned though, with the Princess burn times aren't going to be a problem even with the Silver. Sounds like you've got this season well in hand. :cool:

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
If you can, I would figure out which of the primo woods was driest, then stand a few splits around the stove. They will dry out pretty quick.

For anyone who reads and uses this suggestion (and it does work) - remember to keep your clearance to combustibles. Safety is number one and you don't need to be waking up from the game on TV to see smoking wood around the stove.

Silver Maple fo me is a very good wood to start fires with, I start alot of fires over the winter and it can not be stressed enough how important it is to get the flue up to temp as quickly as possible and Silver Maple, Elm, and Boxelder do this nicely.

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
If you can, I would figure out which of the primo woods was driest, then stand a few splits around the stove. They will dry out pretty quick. As mentioned though, with the Princess burn times aren't going to be a problem even with the Silver. Sounds like you've got this season well in hand. :cool:

I like the power dry option woody. I'll try it, with a nod to jags warning.

quote="Backwoods Savage, post: 1565931, member: 1624"]I have no problem keeping it 7-8 years or longer and it does not get punky.[/quote]
I'm sure it is my method of seasoning that makes it that way. I don't have a shed and I don't cover it with a tarp.

quote="Backwoods Savage, post: 1565931, member: 1624"]I have no problem keeping it 7-8 years or longer and it does not get punky.
I'm sure it is my method of seasoning that makes it that way. I don't have a shed and I don't cover it with a tarp.[/quote]

Nor do I store wood under a tarp. The only wood we put in the shed is that which we will burn for the winter. Before that, it is all stored outdoors. So this is curious as to why you can't keep wood that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.