Quality of Heat Pump Manufacturers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with all the above re where to put the outdoor unit re wind and snow. But the effect of sun on the unit summer and winter has been shown to be negligible. The wind protection is useful during defrost cycles, when you are heating the coil to melt frost/ice....if its windy it takes longer and costs a lot more BTUs.

Great points about the location of the unit in relation to the sun and wind. What about the length of the tubing, how long is too long, and I would think you would want to keep the bends to a minimum.

I am not aware of any limits on the number of bends but I think the total tubing run for the standard precharge is 25 feet , you can go longer but refrigerant need to be added.

Reactions: AK13
They make wind baffles for these units, so location should only be worried about snow/ice falling from the roof. Line set length depends on the size of the units and if there are more than one. Refrigerant charge is the same, typically at least 65Ft. If it is installed correctly it better take more than 2 hrs. Leak test and evacuation should be about 2 hrs. Also put in a pan heater, although I believe the 2015 mitsu units are now coming with them.

Reactions: AK13 and woodgeek
Status
Not open for further replies.