Question about filing chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
I sharpen my chains with both a dremal and hand file, I know with the round file you go in 1 direction, but when lowering the rakers with a flat file, is it important to do 1 direction or can you go back and fourth?

Is this a question about files or rakers? Either way I’ll share this

Rakers will tend to grab or chatter, and will lift up, if filed from the outside. Filing them from the inside will prevent chatter and will give more consistent results, especially on a bar with some wear.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
I sharpen my chains with both a dremal and hand file, I know with the round file you go in 1 direction, but when lowering the rakers with a flat file, is it important to do 1 direction or can you go back and fourth?
not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean filing all of them from one side of the bar? Or do you mean how a file works where it cuts on the forward stroke?