Question about Flexible liners...Help Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaganomics

Jul 20, 2010
New York
Im installing a wood stove thru an older brick chimney.
Im going to close up the older fireplace to only have a brickwall exposed to the room.
I plan to run a stainless flex liner inside the brick chimney.

I presently have a 6 inch round 304L liner ready to install it made by a company called Chim Cap.

I recently ran into a chimney guy and he said that this liner is not strong enough for wood and I need need this:

Sleepy Hollow upgraded SUPER FLEX® from type 304 to type 304-L late in 1983. This more expensive, less readily available alloy was chosen to provide greater protection in the event of repeated chimney fires—eliminating the hazard of intergranular corrosion. Removing the carbon content accomplishes three things:
1. Elimination of chromium carbides (carbon combining with chrome at high temperatures).
2. Less carbon increases the chrome and
nickel content, increasing corrosion resistance.
3. Reducing carbon content makes the
stainless slightly softer, enabling it to drill, cut, and form easier as evidenced by our unique oval chimney liner series.
Type 304-L stainless steel is a non-magnetic alloy with a carbon content of .03 maximum, chrome content 18/20, nickel content 8/12. Using mill certified stainless purchased from specialty mills ensures the highest quality stainless alloy available. Our SUPER FLEX® carbon content usually runs about .013 maximum, with small amounts of moly present, ingredients not found in grades of stainless used for many of today's chimney liner systems.

I noticed that the latter is much thicker and heavier.

Since Im getting opposing info Im confused.

Can anyone offer advice here?

Well, I can't read the chimney guy's mind so I don't know why exactly he said that, I don't see a reason you can't use your 316 Liner as long as it's not going against it's UL testing. I've never heard of the company but nothing jumps out at me as a reason to not use it. Do you know the wall thickness of your liner?

Im sorry I confused you. I will be confused for a bit longer.

I have a 304L Liner flexible 6 inch ready to go.

One chimney guy said to me you cant use these for wood as they wont last a long time.

He said I need to use a heavier liner for wood burning.

I need advice on which way to go!

I have been told that Im using 316L double wall or smoothwall.

Smooth inside and ribbed outside.

I think Im comfortable with what Im using.

But none the less still concerned as Ive recently seen heavier material.

Chim Cap's smooth wall Flex-All = .012 wall thickness. I think Metalbestos equiv. is .016? Still, the ChimCap liner seems like a decent product.

There's always better. Is rigid stainless liner an option or is there an offset in the chimney flue?

Assuming proper installation and operation, 304 stainless is fine for wood (though technically 316 is better all else equal). From the specs it sounds like a decent liner and I personally love smooth wall liners. They perform very well! I think you'll be fine.

BeGreen said:
Chim Cap's smooth wall Flex-All = .012 wall thickness. I think Metalbestos equiv. is .016? Still, the ChimCap liner seems like a decent product.

There's always better. Is rigid stainless liner an option or is there an offset in the chimney flue?

It has some offset that is why I grabbed the flex.

Is pouring Perlite down the gap after this liner is buttoned up appropriate?

That double wall Chim Cap liner is gonna be more than fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.