Question about my Oslo...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramontana

Burning Hunk
Oct 23, 2012
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Cleaning out the ash pan and firebox of my Jotul Oslo this past Sunday, I was surprised to find a chunk of refractory cement that had apparently broken free from the top of the stove where the back wall joins the bottom of the baffles near the top.

The piece is about 7-8" long and I don't believe that it was abused by loading wood.

i-k6pXLbP-M.jpg

i-kmrJbX2-M.jpg

Should I be concerned by this?

Cheers!

As best I can tell looking thru the flames I have a thin strip of cement visible. You bead looks much bigger than mine. Perhaps that's flash (extra material) and there is still proper amount sealing the joint. Like plumbers dope when tightening the drain and it squeezed out. Just an optimistic guess.

I got mine used. The original owner must have knocked mine off for me!

Normal - just the stuff that goop-ed out when they set the lid down during assembly. Had similar happen in the early days of the Isle Royale.

I made the same post after owning my Oslo for a few months. Sounds like it was there for shipping only. No problems a couple of years later.

As noted . . . no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.