Question about smoke exiting chimney with BK stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northof49th

Aug 11, 2023
Alberta
I purchased my first wood stove back in November, a Sirocco 30, and have a question regarding smoke/vapor. Somewhere I read that you know the cat is working properly if there's no smoke coming out the chimney. Aside from a glowing cat at times, I also noticed there was no smoke exiting the chimney when the temperature was around freezing. (This was when the stat was about halfway). However now, with temperatures at -30 to -40 C, I notice smoke exiting the chimney (stat is at about 75%). Or is this just water vapor? Obviously there will be some heat escaping the chimney, which would explain it, but curious as to how much smoke the cat cleans up.

Is it smoke or water vapor? With my Princess there is water vapor from the chimney for the first part of the burn cycle. Depending on the temp outside and how full I load the stove. The “smoke” from the chimney also smells different during this phase.

I’m burning wood with <18% Mc.

They also talk about it some in this thread

I just installed an Ashford 25 and when the cat is on with the bypass closed there is 0 smoke - above or below freezing. I purchased my stove for heat and went with a cat for efficiency. While I did do research and I'm happy, I'm a bit disappointed that there is not a constant exit of smoke out of the chimney - it just looks nice. Wish it could be both ways, but turning the smoke into heat is more efficient.