Question about up and out venting with the XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Patriot21

May 20, 2019
Vermont
Hello,

I have a Harman XXV with the top vent adapter, going out a masonry chimney with a stainless steel liner. I would like to put my woodstove in its place and vent the XXV out an exterior wall, still using the same top vent adapter. Does anybody know if the kit I have attached here in the link will work?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraVen...VkJOzCh1eKgBoEAQYASABEgL47_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I understand it is for a wood stove and I'll have to buy the stove pipe in addition to this. Just wondering if I can use this kit, and if not, does anybody know any other options? I've read other posts about the Selkirk Direct Temp venting being used, however I would like to keep the XXV top vent if possible.

Thank you very much,
Jake

Hello,

I have a Harman XXV with the top vent adapter, going out a masonry chimney with a stainless steel liner. I would like to put my woodstove in its place and vent the XXV out an exterior wall, still using the same top vent adapter. Does anybody know if the kit I have attached here in the link will work?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraVent-DuraPlus-6-in-Through-The-Wall-Chimney-Stove-Vent-Kit-6DP-KTTW/100180192?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D28I|28-20_FIREPLACE|NA|LIA|Fixed|71700000041073832|58700004807808866|92700041217444415&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIooqM8s-P5AIVkJOzCh1eKgBoEAQYASABEgL47_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I understand it is for a wood stove and I'll have to buy the stove pipe in addition to this. Just wondering if I can use this kit, and if not, does anybody know any other options? I've read other posts about the Selkirk Direct Temp venting being used, however I would like to keep the XXV top vent if possible.

Thank you very much,
Jake
I have XXV vented thru old Wood Stove 8" Pipe thru the wall. Want better pics?

Thank you Dataman. Does that vent up an interior chimney or is that venting directly outside? If outside, do you continue upwards or terminate the vent horizontally after it exits the house? I like the look of the XXV as a wood stove like you have, am trying to do the same and think I can just use a thru-the-wall 6" wood stove kit, terminating the vent once I reach outside. Can you think of any reason why I couldn't do that?

Thank you,
Jake

Thank you Dataman. Does that vent up an interior chimney or is that venting directly outside? If outside, do you continue upwards or terminate the vent horizontally after it exits the house? I like the look of the XXV as a wood stove like you have, am trying to do the same and think I can just use a thru-the-wall 6" wood stove kit, terminating the vent once I reach outside. Can you think of any reason why I couldn't do that?

Thank you,
Jake
It goes thru the wall into T outside. One up 25ft past roofline and one down for cleanout. It was used for BK King Stove before. Works great. Only problem I have is Birds flying in up top and wanting to nest. We got one in Pellet stove in Spring. Fixed that with wire cloth. I pull the cloth before burning stove. Left it in place last year. it clogs up with smoke and cuts airflow. I use rods with 8" brush for cleaning. 3" brush inside.

Be me 2nd year on Pellet Stove starting in Sep I bet. Burned 4.1 tons last year. Got .9 tons left over. Get another 4 delivered in Mid Sep or Early Oct.

I have battery backup for 6 hours runtime on 100ah battery with 2 more smaller batteries available if needed. Thinking of another 100ah battery.