Question for NC-30 Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
Do you get alot of build up of dust on top of the baffle boards?

I was thinking I read that people vacuum the top of their boards from time to time.

I do. Not an incredible amount but enough to brush off or vacuum. Last season I had less than ideal wood at 25% moisture so I wasn't burning as clean as I could have been. I cleaned my chimney once per month and got about 2 cups of creosote each sweeping, for a total of a half gallon for the season.

I clean from the bottom up so I need to take the secondary tubes and ceramic boards out. It seems that they collect a little bit of ash on them. Maybe less than a 1/16" each sweeping. I could imagine things building up though if I swept once per year or worse.

Got some evil experiment going through your head or something?

Any top exit stove is gonna get soot on top of the baffle. Stuff falling down the chimney. Rear exit will get it in the elbow or tee. Ain't gravity wonderful.

In my 13NC, the bottom of my back-to-back 45's right out of the stove collect stuff falling down the chimney/stovepipe!!! When I clean, I brush down to the 45's, and when that's clean, I break the 45's apart to clean them and the top of the baffle.

i get a little bit but i jest vacuum it off at the end of the burning season no big deal

Don't have that stove but i also get junk on top of the baffle.

My question was leading into another thought or question.

How does the NC-30 with that same basic design of several other tube type stoves have such a low grams emission rating.

Is it due to the extra large firebox with the extra head room and deep bottom or is it due too the plate thats up by the exit hole in the top of the stove that maybe causes a disturbance in the flue gases flowing by causing particulate matter to fall back down on top of the baffle plates. Going back to the fire box size it was noted in an EPA Wood Stove Design papers that stoves with less head room burn more efficiently, I am thinking most likely due to the wood being closer to the secondary burn tubes but does that cause these small particulate particles to keep stirred up in the gases going up the flue and thus a higher grams emission rating. Or the small metal piece in the flue gas path up in the top of the stove does that cause the flue gas to do another loopty loop and some of the particulates drop onto the baffle board.

My question was leading into another thought or question.

How does the NC-30 with that same basic design of several other tube type stoves have such a low grams emission rating.

Is it due to the extra large firebox with the extra head room and deep bottom or is it due too the plate thats up by the exit hole in the top of the stove that maybe causes a disturbance in the flue gases flowing by causing particulate matter to fall back down on top of the baffle plates. Going back to the fire box size it was noted in an EPA Wood Stove Design papers that stoves with less head room burn more efficiently, I am thinking most likely due to the wood being closer to the secondary burn tubes but does that cause these small particulate particles to keep stirred up in the gases going up the flue and thus a higher grams emission rating. Or the small metal piece in the flue gas path up in the top of the stove does that cause the flue gas to do another loopty loop and some of the particulates drop onto the baffle board.

That is why i am so interested in this stove cause its low emissions.

its grams emission is low but they dont list the efficiency rating , you can find the EPA ratng but its just the default rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.