Question on a Garrison 2 wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stevendoc

Oct 6, 2019
Southern Maine
Hello,
I recently acquired a used Garrison 2 wood stove. I replaced the rope gasket with 3\8 fiberglass rope, and now the door will barely shut. I'll post a picture of it with this too help. I followed the same line the previous gasket ran along. It was a hard close before as well....so I'm just wondering what the heck I did wrong and possibly the previous owner did as well.
Hoping some can help need to get the this stove going soon winters a'coming!
-Steven from southern Maine.
15704776697415078912926129693719.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The gasket will compress a little over time. Have you tried adjusting the door latch a little? It may not take much.

The gasket will compress a little over time. Have you tried adjusting the door latch a little? It may not take much.
I can try adjusting it... When I first fired it up as a test the smoke went up the pipe no problem but the door itself was smoking a lot.... I cleaned and scraped it in case the past owner build up too much creosote. I replaced the gasket at the same time. It's a very small handle on the garrison 2 the inside doesn't give much room. Not sure if it'll let me move much more towards the end of the post. Will let you know how it works....

Okay so the handle can't be modified or adjusted. It's held in place by a roll pin I think. I just tried pushing with all my strength and weight and the "key" broke. I can make something to replace it no worries there it just really should take that much to shut it. I even tried filing the interior part of the handle down a bit and the inside where it grabs. Still can't close it. The gasket seems very tense even when open. Is it possible I used too much glue? I picked it up at Lowe's. I don't want to switch back to the small Lopi wood stove and the Atlantic I have in the garage still needs a full refinish and cement in the creases.....

Maybe the stove was designed for a slightly thinner gasket like 5/16? Or for a low density 3/8" gasket?