Question on hearth pad for HearthStone Mansfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodBurner24

Hearth Supporter
Dec 30, 2009
From the Mansfield manual (http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/assets/files/document_library/Mansfield8011Manual.pdf):

The unit must be placed on a *non-combustible floor
protector that extends 16” in front and 6” to each side of
the unit. If installed in an alcove at reduced clearances
with NFPA 211 wall protection, the area in front of the
unit must have an additional insulative R-value of .8, or a
listed floor protection must be used.

*An example of a non-combustible floor protector would
be a hearth constructed with a continuous layer of a listed
backer board (such as Wonder-Board or Durock) used for
ember protection with a tile, brick, slate, or another nooncombustible
facing.

I have a Mansfield on order. It is going on an existing hearth, presumably built when the house was built, or by previous owners. The back wall is stone and the floor is tile. The dimensions of the existing hearth pad more than meet the above requirements. My question is related to the floor material. If I'm reading the above correctly, if I am NOT installing the stove in an alcove with reduced clearances (which I am not), there is no specific R-value requirement? Only that the floor be non-combustible? Unfortunately I don't know what's below the tile of the existing hearth pad. The tile pad does not appear to be raised any higher than the carpet surrounding it. Am I OK because tile is non-combustible? If not, any suggestions on what I should do?

From the documentation, it looks like you are covered. The grouted tile surface provides a non-combustible ember barrier which is all that is being called for.

BeGreen said:
From the documentation, it looks like you are covered. The grouted tile surface provides a non-combustible ember barrier which is all that is being called for.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.