Question/Opinion from the crew needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locust Post

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast Ohio
I have several different trees down in a couple different areas I cut in. I believe cottonwood and poplar. I have plenty of hardwood (at least 4 years out) and was not even going to bother with any of this. But I was out back stacking some slab wood that I have had for awhile and the stack is close to our outdoor fire pit. It got me thinking because the wife and I burn a lot of outdoor fires in the spring and fall so I go through a lot of wood out there. Usually burn slab and my uglies in the pit but I don't have as much slab around as I usually do. I have not burnt either of these woods what's the opinion either one of these any good for outdoor fires and I don't want something that sparks a lot.
edit: Its not like I don't have plenty of wood around to use but it's just hard to put that good stuff on the firepit.

I'd grab it for the firepit & occasional Fall/Spring inside burning.Never burned any Poplar that I'm aware of,but did burn a couple p/u loads of Cottonwood slabs from local mill some years back.Never had any problem with that popping or throwing sparks.

I went through an entire 24" poplar here in early February. It was seasoned down to 19% after 16 months. It burns hot and it burns pretty fast. If that it the type of wood you want for the fire pit, then get at it. Never made a fire pit myself, but if I did I probably would not hesitate to put polar in it.

If it was me I would go get it. I spend alot of time cutting and splitting wood for our OD pit. We spend countless hours in our garden and probably keep a far going most of the summer.

That's a good idea. I use easy to get cottonwood for my fire pit.
Easy to get any kind other than birch.
Some dry stacks of splits would look nice out by your fire pit ;)
Good use for cottonwood & popular

I'd be getting it for both the firepit and for SS wood (save your good hardwood for the really cold weather and overnight burns). I'm not a fan of those woods, but if its easy access and you don't want to waste the good stuff, go for it......

I like good hard wood in the fire pit. Its a lot less smoke to deal with.

Reactions: Applesister
We use hardwood when we cook on the pit, put some pine and poplar on for the crackles/pops after dark.......and we load 'er up big, too!!

I have to drag my wood home so its hardwood or nothing anymore. I use to do alot of silver maple with the wood furnace but 4-5 cords a pretty easy to be picky.

I have to drag my wood home so its hardwood or nothing anymore. I use to do alot of silver maple with the wood furnace but 4-5 cords a pretty easy to be picky.
Trust me, I'm picky too (now that I have four years' worth of firewood in the hoard). But being I cut down trees as a side job, I get alot of pine, poplar, willow, etc. So I try and put some of that to use. I took all those huge poplar logs last year and milled them for lumber, have several huge pine logs I'll be milling in a month or two, and lots of lesser wood on slate to cut this spring and summer. The willow, I give all that away.....I hate that chit!! But I'll be saving alot of the pine and poplar tops and storing them in the hollow at my FIL's house for use in the maple evaporator next year.......that's a perfect use for the lesser wood....

I'm thinking if I have the time I will get some of this softwood for the pit. If I get it home and don't like it there are some guys around the area with OWB's. I'll just donate it.

You'll do fine with both of those for the fire pit. Expect the cottonwood to be really heavy when you cut it but it is loaded with moisture. When dry, it gets pretty light. Poplar does not have quite as much sap but it also loses a lot of weight when it is dry. The cottonwood will burn hotter than the poplar but both will do fine.

For the firepit - sure. Sometimes having a few small poplar or light wood splits mixed around in the load of serious wood helps get 'er going when the last load's coals got down too low. So, it's handy to keep some lightweight stuff for the stove, too.

Trust me, I'm picky too (now that I have four years' worth of firewood in the hoard). But being I cut down trees as a side job, I get alot of pine, poplar, willow, etc. So I try and put some of that to use. I took all those huge poplar logs last year and milled them for lumber, have several huge pine logs I'll be milling in a month or two, and lots of lesser wood on slate to cut this spring and summer. The willow, I give all that away.....I hate that chit!! But I'll be saving alot of the pine and poplar tops and storing them in the hollow at my FIL's house for use in the maple evaporator next year.......that's a perfect use for the lesser wood....

Scotty that's what my FIL does too - he has a building called the Sugar Camp and all the lesser wood goes there. He goes through a lot of wood during tapping season! It gets nice and warm in there too! He's in Pennsylvania near Johnstown. You guys getting ready to tap the trees soon?

I like to use light stuff like poplar and cottonwood in the fire pit. It doesn't leave a huge pile of coals that I need to worry about when we are through enjoying the fire.

Poplar is great firewood. Perfect for taking the chill off in the shoulder season. Why waste it, save your hardwood for winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.