Question re United States Stove Co. model US1269E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newprepper

Mar 5, 2024
North Florida
Greetings,
I am thinking of purchasing a US Stove Co. model US1269E to use for cooking outside in the event of an extended power outage. I live in Florida and do not plan to install the stove inside a building. This stove appears to be similar to the Vogelzang Boxwood which is no longer available. The 1269E has a fiberboard layer in the top of the firebox and does not have removeable "eyes" in the top surface of the stove. I have been advised that the 1269E is not suitable for cooking. So here is my question: in an emergency situation for cooking OUTSIDE, would removing the fiberboard allow the top of the stove to get hot enough for cooking without compromising the function of the stove?
Thanks

The stove top will still get plenty hot with the baffle inside. That just slows down the wood gases for more complete combustion.

Just to follow up, do you think it would hurt the stove to remove the baffle? Would that make the top of the stove get hotter quicker? Would removing the baffle cause you to burn more wood? To pose the question another way: for cooking purposes, which way would be the more efficient use of wood - with the baffle or without it?

Removing the baffle will just send more heat directly up the flue. That is definitely less efficient. Be careful with the stove. It doesn't have the best reputation for longevity or controlability. A fair amount of them develop cracks. Putting it outside and removing the baffle will add stresses on the castings.

I don't think the stove will get any hotter with the baffle removed. The baffle reflects heat back at the fire, making it hotter. That heat can be used to cook.