Questions about a Bonny Oak 215

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodBerner

Jun 10, 2018
Arkansas
I have a Bonny Oak 215 stove that is overall in good condition. Some surface rust, but no cracks and it appears to have most of the parts. I say most because the nickel-plated ring that would normally go around the bottom of the stove (the skirt?) is missing. Am I correct in believing that this ring is merely decorative, and that it is not required for safe operation of the stove? If it’s helpful, the stove looks very similar to a 1912 Round Oak Square Base model.

Thank you for your help!

Foot warmer called a boot rest. Not required for safe operation of stove.

Yes, everything on it has a purpose. Obviously it is a coal stove, and I believe it will have a 15 inch diameter burn pot. That is the last 2 numbers of model to designate size. The upper "bell damper" is an intake to allow coal gas to ignite on top of the fire, you only crack it a little with coal and use the lower intake under fire to control burn. You would close the bottom intake when burning wood and only use the upper to slow the wood fire as much as possible. It requires a flue damper in pipe as well with most chimneys. It is much more efficient on coal.