Questions about heat pump for my shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What type of work will you be doing in your shop. Indoor units of minisplits do not do well in a dirty enviroment. (saw dust, welding dirt/dust etc.) Have you given any thought to a small propane unit heater?

What type of work will you be doing in your shop. Indoor units of minisplits do not do well in a dirty enviroment. (saw dust, welding dirt/dust etc.) Have you given any thought to a small propane unit heater?
I installed the minisplit 3 years ago, this is an older thread. I don't run it if I'm generating dust, most of which I try to do outside anyway.

Ours don't sense temp at the remote. They do it at the head. In the incoming (return) air area. Seems to work OK.
Get the install manual, not just the owner's manual. Most can be programmed to sense at either remote, thermostat, or head.

That's surprising, but I guess that brand/model doesn't have that option. My experience is with several Mitsubishi units of various vintage over the last 15 years, and they have all had the ability to toggle between the head unit and remote thermostat, for temperature sensing.

Sensing in the head unit works for most applications, but there are some where I'd rather have the sensing in the thermostat. I also wonder how they manage to not have the units sometimes fighting one another in large installations with multiple heads, such as putting a half dozen units in a large room (eg. chapel or small gymnasium). In those applications, they will often tie multiple head units to one wall thermostat, to act as one coherent unit.

I guess it depends on what's controlling the unit. You can use a separate thermostat with them which I assume uses the thermostat to sense temperature.

I thought about adding an external air filter since the internal one is just a fine screen and cleaning the blower wheel isn't easy. I see some people have built a box on top of the wall unit to hold 2 or more air filters so air flow doesn't get restricted.

Reactions: Ashful