Questions about Treemont free standing stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MarkReid96

Aug 2, 2021
Mississippi
I’m looking at buying a Treemont freestanding wood heater, probably early 1990s I can’t make out the model number but I think it’s TAC 540?? Question Is it currently has 8 in pipe flue out the back but it also looks as if the pipe can run out the top. Any information on this type heater?

MarkRied96 Have your already read the other threads on this site on Treemont wood stoves? It appears from my search that this stove is not one that is common and had not been discussed much but there has been discussion on this stove but may not be the same year as yours. But it wouldn't hurt to do a search and see if you can find any helpful info.

Does this stove have a combustor or secondary burn tubes and has the stove been overfired with signs of warping and cracking inside the stove? If the stove has a combustor then you might be looking at some dollars to replace it. And sometimes the secondary burn tubes are burned out. There are many things to look for that are common on most wood stoves. Pictures of the inside and outside the stove would be helpful and these stove folk can help see if the stove is worth buying.

MarkRied96 Have your already read the other threads on this site on Treemont wood stoves? It appears from my search that this stove is not one that is common and had not been discussed much but there has been discussion on this stove but may not be the same year as yours. But it wouldn't hurt to do a search and see if you can find any helpful info.

Does this stove have a combustor or secondary burn tubes and has the stove been overfired with signs of warping and cracking inside the stove? If the stove has a combustor then you might be looking at some dollars to replace it. And sometimes the secondary burn tubes are burned out. There are many things to look for that are common on most wood stoves. Pictures of the inside and outside the stove would be helpful and these stove folk can help see if the stove is worth buying.
Thanks for the reply, yes I have read all available forums that I’ve found and it seems none of them are related to the exact stove I’m getting. It’s in great shape and only been used when the power went out. Seems like Treemont didn’t stay in business long. It looks really well built, it has glass door in front and side loading door, shaker grates and a removable ash tray underneath. I’m guessing it can be used for coal or wood. Also has a blower that works. After looking at it again I think it the flue can be used top or back because it has a dummy type plug in the top right now that can be removed with bolts from the inside. Thanks again

The photo below is not my stove but looks exactly like it

C7862B8B-E831-49E9-BD42-CAC8CA1FD309.png

I found this on u-tube and I also found one on ebay but can't find it now--that one was a strange looking stove--lol I do not think that people who never owned this stove does not like them and maybe wholly outdated and the company no more..Here is u-tube..

coal stoves are different from wood stoves; the shaker grates I see in the pic from that youtube vid indicate it's a coal stove.

Reactions: MarkReid96
I found this on u-tube and I also found one on ebay but can't find it now--that one was a strange looking stove--lol I do not think that people who never owned this stove does not like them and maybe wholly outdated and the company no more..Here is u-tube..

Mine is almost exactly like that except for the hole in the top of mine is round and 8 in same as the flue in the back. Here’s some pictures of mine. Thanks for the help. I picked it up cheap so I’m gonna try it. Thanks again
coal stoves are different from wood stoves; the shaker grates I see in the pic from that youtube vid indicate it's a coal stove.
I can’t tell for certain but I think the tag says fuel type solids

Attachments

• 4FC59CC6-5B8B-41B4-8837-8F20E64473DF.jpeg
    4FC59CC6-5B8B-41B4-8837-8F20E64473DF.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 306
I can't say; both wood and coal (and mixed) stoves are solid fuel stoves (i.e. not gas, oil, or electric).

The people I got it from claim it heated real well and wasn’t a wood hog. I currently have a unknown brand that looks like a momma baby bear. I have to add wood about every 4 hours and hoping with this one I can at least get through the night on a box full of wood!2C177B1A-9DF6-4F21-AE3B-6CC3571009FD.jpegF4B06330-2712-4680-A949-475719A45BFA.jpeg5AB9E007-D264-4ACF-8A9F-EF447FA600F4.jpeg4E1F1AB1-28CB-4D29-BE0B-EF3F05106DCE.jpegA05A80E4-B989-4CE2-BA54-E13C44C69CA0.jpeg1CA2C2E0-AD1E-4F64-A680-C00C77A734FD.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks like a Treemont coal/wood stove. How does your stove feed the air to the fire? Underneath the grates? Definitely not very efficient. A modern stove would have a longer burntime using less fuel.

FWIW, We had a posting asking about parts for this model (HC3000?) a while back.

Last edited:
That looks like a Treemont coal/wood stove. How does your stove feed the air to the fire? Underneath the grates? Definitely not very efficient. A modern stove would have a longer burntime using less fuel.

FWIW, We had a posting asking about parts for this model (HC3000?) a while back.
It actually feeds air in above the front door, it’s a crazy design. I think they tried to make it either or with coal or wood but like I’ve seen in other posts that doesn’t work very well. Thanks

Attachments

• CFBF4F1D-E853-4866-8612-C5015199EE03.jpeg
    CFBF4F1D-E853-4866-8612-C5015199EE03.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 202
This certainly is a interesting stove. As I have been following this thread I was hoping for more picture of you stove and this morning was glad to see them. It will be helpful for anyone who comes to this site asking similar questions about this stove. I was also curious abut the how the air feeds into the stove. Keep us posted after you get is running. I like the idea of the side door and the stove looks very well constructed.

This certainly is a interesting stove. As I have been following this thread I was hoping for more picture of you stove and this morning was glad to see them. It will be helpful for anyone who comes to this site asking similar questions about this stove. I was also curious abut the how the air feeds into the stove. Keep us posted after you get is running. I like the idea of the side door and the stove looks very well constructed.
I’m going to try it, don’t have anything to loose. The only place I can find that air can enter is above the front door. Thanks again for all input and hopefully I can help someone in the future

I did some research on this stove and there is another forum that kind of had a "funny skit" somehow around the area of this stove and I did not understand it...Long thread on it..Then the company parts seemed to be discontinued and I am not a real researcher here but I did my best to help you as well as encourage you to do what you think is best and with safety concerns as well.. Yesterday on e-bay there was a stove with a real swirey pipe on top huge and wide and the body was silver like one of those sinks in the laundry room. It had the name of your freemont (made fun of stove) and that picture has completely disappeared and I wish that I got a copy of it for you,, I like the side loading and people who had the stove say good things about it...Its a big project to start and I would think about it and keep in mind all the rules in for the state of MS and abide by them...You need information about this stove and it seems to be lacking and maybe one of those books that tell you about the stove...They do have some kind of pizza stove with the name of freemont or something...Read that thread that begreen posted on posting 10 and look at that "seriously" for he is a expert on stoves. I say like the stove but fool with it outside until you decide on how it works and get something that is more updated for they do have beautiful stoves especially some of those catalytic ones that takes little effort with less dirty air coming out as well...and in your state you really don't need a very big wood stove because the temperature is so nice and much warmer then the northern states..I love MS and I have lived there...old Mrs clancey who knows nothing about stoves--lol lol but I can sort of duplicate your thought process,,Best of luck with your decision...

I did some research on this stove and there is another forum that kind of had a "funny skit" somehow around the area of this stove and I did not understand it...Long thread on it..Then the company parts seemed to be discontinued and I am not a real researcher here but I did my best to help you as well as encourage you to do what you think is best and with safety concerns as well.. Yesterday on e-bay there was a stove with a real swirey pipe on top huge and wide and the body was silver like one of those sinks in the laundry room. It had the name of your freemont (made fun of stove) and that picture has completely disappeared and I wish that I got a copy of it for you,, I like the side loading and people who had the stove say good things about it...Its a big project to start and I would think about it and keep in mind all the rules in for the state of MS and abide by them...You need information about this stove and it seems to be lacking and maybe one of those books that tell you about the stove...They do have some kind of pizza stove with the name of freemont or something...Read that thread that begreen posted on posting 10 and look at that "seriously" for he is a expert on stoves. I say like the stove but fool with it outside until you decide on how it works and get something that is more updated for they do have beautiful stoves especially some of those catalytic ones that takes little effort with less dirty air coming out as well...and in your state you really don't need a very big wood stove because the temperature is so nice and much warmer then the northern states..I love MS and I have lived there...old Mrs clancey who knows nothing about stoves--lol lol but I can sort of duplicate your thought process,,Best of luck with your decision...
Thank you so much! Yes Mississippi is a nice place to live except during the summer time lol! I’ve dismantled almost the whole stove now. It’s pretty simple once I figured out what everything does. This is the first cat converter stove I’ve ever fooled with. I got everything cleaned out and everything looks good. I’m going to put in a new cat converter, 2” by 2” by 13”7/8 and gaskets and give it a try! Thanks again!

Reactions: begreen
Thank you so much! Yes Mississippi is a nice place to live except during the summer time lol! I’ve dismantled almost the whole stove now. It’s pretty simple once I figured out what everything does. This is the first cat converter stove I’ve ever fooled with. I got everything cleaned out and everything looks good. I’m going to put in a new cat converter, 2” by 2” by 13”7/8 and gaskets and give it a try! Thanks again!
One more question about catalytic converter, I know this one is old and there’s a couple of small broke pieces but it’s not stopped up or brittle any chance of it still working??

Attachments

• F230EACF-F72A-4D95-9CDA-C8C21934216D.jpeg
    F230EACF-F72A-4D95-9CDA-C8C21934216D.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 3A92B438-DFE2-4E32-8559-1E33DD5AAFF1.jpeg
    3A92B438-DFE2-4E32-8559-1E33DD5AAFF1.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 281
Thanks wonderful and you keep us all updated...If you run into any technical problems there are people here they know stoves inside and out and they weld and fix and buy parts and some have manuals and other know nothing like me...Take care friend..clancey

You won't know until you try. It's possible, but to me it looks rather black on one side suggesting it is coated, rendering the active (precious) metal inaccessible to the flue gases.

You may have to do an acid wash (see elsewhere on this forum) to try to get it in better shape.

Chances are, though, that it is not alive anymore. Buy another one (and gasket) so you can replace this one if it doesn't light up.

Well MarkReid96 you read my mind again and sent pictures of the combustor. I have never seen a combustor this thin but maybe some of the other stove guys could enlighten me on this. I have always seen them much thicker. I think this is a real plus to have wood stove with a combustor it will be much more efficient stove. I had a Blaze King that had a combustor that looked good and after I rebuilt the inside of the stove it seemed to work just fine. But stoveliker had made a good point as looks can be deceiving at times with these combustors as this one looks like it has had some miles on it. But you will know when you get this stove fired up.

Just wanted to add this link as I have read it before but is a good article on combustors https://midwesthearth.com/pages/catalytic-combustor-faq

Last edited:
Well MarkReid96 you read my mind again and sent pictures of the combustor. I have never seen a combustor this thin but maybe some of the other stove guys could enlighten me on this. I have always seen them much thicker. I think this is a real plus to have wood stove with a combustor it will be much more efficient stove. I had a Blaze King that had a combustor that looked good and after I rebuilt the inside of the stove it seemed to work just fine. But stoveliker had made a good point as looks can be deceiving at times with these combustors as this one looks like it has had some miles on it. But you will know when you get this stove fired up.

Just wanted to add this link as I have read it before but is a good article on combustors https://midwesthearth.com/pages/catalytic-combustor-faq
Thank you all very much!! This is the best forum I’ve ever seen! So many good people that are knowledgeable and eager to help!! Thanks again Mark Reid!!