Questions and thoughts before first insert purchase.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fred...just a couple of opinions.

1. Being biased, I would opt for the Xtraordinair over the Montpelier. I extensively researched both lines and decided on the Declaration (twin of the Xtraordinair) to better fit my needs. I have last years model. Bypass damper, larger firebox, loved the 2 doors, lack of black glass complaints with the Montpelier.

2. Why isn't a stove being considered? If I could have fit one, I would have. Way more class, style and beauty. I'm jealous of you free standing guys.

3. I agree with Tfapps, if you're not opposed to last year's two door model, go for it. It has a slightly larger firebox and potentially huge savings.

4. I hope you don't mind the sound of the blowers, because with out em...an insert is useless. At 75% speed, you'll need to adjust your TV volume.

5. Don't allow burn times to influence your decision. Mine falls way short to what manufacturer claims.

6. I believe there's more Declaration/Xtraordinair owners on here than Montpeliers. Search it.

7. Good luck.

You appear to be shy on your top clearances. There are many ways to increase those clearances. One example is in this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81377/

Yes, the glass is dirty in the first picture. That was the first burn after the flue was lined and before the rest of the project was completed. The wood was marginal and the outside temps were very warm.

Good luck with your project...

KaptJaq

You should check out the Hampton HI300 inserts. We are extremely pleased with ours. They have a brown enamel version that would look great in your hearth. Not only would it heat, it would look great. You seem to have the height so you could set it on some 4" cinder block and put a granite hearth out front to finish it.

My confusion is in my post #18 the manual says 39" to NON COMBUSTIBLE material "M". In post # 19 the brochure says CLEARANCE TO COMBUSTIBLES 39" for "M". So are they considering "top facing" to be combustible or not? If it were to be OK to combustibles I would just alter the arch. If it is not OK I would have to remove the whole arch piece.

Hi Chris,

I read through the manual and my interpretation is (copied from a post above):

The “M†dimension is to the top of the non-combustible fireplace facing. If your fireplace opening is surrounded by tiles or bricks those tile or bricks must be at least 39 inches above the hearth (in your case the bottom of the insert). The “N†dimension (41.5 inches) is to the mantel or any combustible material that is not flush to the face of the fireplace. The way I read this manual is that there can be a 2.5†strip (41.5-39) of wood or other combustible trim above the tile/brick face of the fireplace and below the mantle as long as it is flush to the face of the fireplace.

Looking at your sketch the curved piece is too close. There must be at least 39 inches of flush, non-combustible face material (tile, stone, etc) for the full width of the insert. Above that there can be 2.5 inches of combustible trim as long as it is flush with the face of the fireplace. Then, starting at 41.5 inches your mantel or other trim can start to protrude from the fireplace. If you wanted to keep the curved piece it would have to be raised so that the lowest point above the the length of the insert was at least 41.5 inches above the bottom edge of the insert.

KaptJaq

OK. Please forgive me in advance for beating this to death. But from what you guys are saying. There can be wood combustible material at the 39" mark as long as it does not stick out into the room past the face of the insert? Which would mean that I can keep the arch just alter it to be above the 39" mark.

Your arch sticks out from the face of the fireplace (it is NOT flush) so it has to be above 41.5 inches for the full length of the insert. From 39.5 inches to 41.5 inches can be combustible as long as it is flush with the fireplace face. "Flush" means that the transition from the marble, stone, tile, brick fireplace face to the combustible material between 39.0 and 41.5 inches is smooth, it does not stick out at all. Your arch sticks out so it must be at 41.5 inches or above.

This is how I read the X-33 manual. If you are not sure consult a professional. You should probably have someone from the stove shop inspect your fireplace/flue BEFORE you make a purchase.

KaptJaq

You guys have opened my eyes and given me plenty to think about. I will check into it this week. Thank you so much.

I see a few of you guys are from the Long Island area. Would you recommend any dealer in particular?

Hi Fred, welcome to the forums. Always nice to see anothe Longuylinder here :)

Where are you. That'd help with the dealer issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.