Questions, chimney sweeping a quadrafire insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bartly

Dec 2, 2013
Reno
So I decided I'm going to buy a brush and clean my chimney myself this year. I should have paid more attention to the guy when I paid for it. Wondering when I sweep the chimney if particles will fall in a not-so great spot in the stove. Am I supposed to disconnect anything on the back side of the insert so the soot/ash falls into a more easily accessed area meant for clean out? Just don't want any particles to fall in areas that would be hard to vacuum out.

I need to pull the stove out of the fireplace so I can vacuum off the blowers and those two access areas I've seen pictures of. I have never pulled the insert out, and just kind of hesitant cause I know it attaches to the chimney some how in there. Anyone know of a link with some pictures of what it takes to pull the insert? Oh yeah, I should say I have a Quadrafire 1200i, and it is installed in a brick fireplace with no rear access (I've seen pics of pipes that stick out the back side of the chimney on the outside of the house, I don't have one of those). Sorry, for the long question, and thanks for any suggestions.

Have you pulled the surround off the insert yet to have a look-see at what your are dealing with in terms of clearances? You might have room to get into the blower without pulling the whole thing out (fingers crossed). I'm not familiar enough with the setup to know how other folks get it done with this as an insert, but hopefully someone with the unit may chime in.

Some pics of what you are looking at in terms of connection of the stove to its liner would be helpful to determine if it really is necessary to remove it and give you advice in doing so if needed.

Also, it's common to remove the baffle of a stove and sweep everything right down into the stove itself, saving a lot of mess.

Thanks for the links and the help. I have the manual, but looking at it again, I see there are some pics showing where it attaches. No I haven't pulled the trim off to see in there. Guess that would help, lol. Hopefully I can get some good access without pulling it. Just don't want to sweep the chimney and have the particles land somewhere they might be hard to clean out of. Thinking I'll have a better understanding of it when I take a closer look. Thanks again for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.