Quick question on chiseling mortar and harbor freight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiner

Aug 22, 2008
Maryland
I've never been to harbor freight before and there is one about 45 min from me. I'm in the middle of chiseling the mortar from my chimney and need a new round chisel bit. Harbor fright has a whole set for $5.99 online, including the gun. Does harbor freight carry all their online tools in the stores? I can't get through to anyone in the store, get put on hold forever, really bad customer service.

Thanks

Squiner said:
I've never been to harbor freight before and there is one about 45 min from me. I'm in the middle of chiseling the mortar from my chimney and need a new round chisel bit. Harbor fright has a whole set for $5.99 online, including the gun. Does harbor freight carry all their online tools in the stores? I can't get through to anyone in the store, get put on hold forever, really bad customer service.

Thanks

My personal experience says that Harbor Freight is the definition of "you get what you pay for", and that includes customer service.

I know the store in Louisville does not carry everything in the catalog.

Are you chiseling mortar to install flashing ? It is a lot easier to cut a slot with a circular saw and a masonry blade if the saw will fit where you need it to. the blades are around $5.00 and usually will do 1 or 2 chimneys depending on size of chimneys and hardness of mortar. I've probably flashed over 50 that way.

woodsmaster said:
Are you chiseling mortar to install flashing ? It is a lot easier to cut a slot with a circular saw and a masonry blade if the saw will fit where you need it to. the blades are around $5.00 and usually will do 1 or 2 chimneys depending on size of chimneys and hardness of mortar. I've probably flashed over 50 that way.

Thanks Dakota.

No, I'm repointing a rough granite chimney (i.e. no straight lines). I ended up grinding the round chisel back to a point that had become very blunt. I'll be able to do that a few more times before I need a new one.

Harbor Freight specifically states in its store flyers, mail order catalogs, and online, that merchandise differs from one to the other. I'v never bought chisels, but the stores carry a lot of stuff!

It is one of my favorite stores to blow money in. Most tools are crap but what do you expect for $1 to $2. I have a drill press from them that is 6 years old and their welding gloves on sale are tough to beat for fire gloves. good luck! Their krazy glue is also cheap

I've bought a few things from an HF store. They seem to have an ever-changing array of stuff to sell. Things such as cheap paint brushes, etc., are ok, but any tools I've seen or used are pretty junky and not going to last, I'd predict, past one or two jobs. You might get thru your project with the chisels, but there is a reason they are so inexpensive. On the other hand, if you don't anticipate needing them after this project, it might just suit you. I've bought a few such tools, expecting to throw them into the metal recycle bin after I use them just a few times. I bought some nail punches that broke when I got to about the fifth nail. But I bought a mechanic's creeper for $15 I've been using for three years.

When I tried to return something bought via internet mail order to the local (Chattanooga, TN) store, I was told that the two were completely separate companies, one owned by the father and the other by a son. My guess is that it is how they get around the sales tax rule for mail order goods (You must charge tax in any state that you physically do business in).
The mail order and retail stores usually use the same stock numbers and the Chattanooga store is usually able to check the the computer for stock over the phone if given a number. I have several of the pistol grip air chisels. I think I have only ever worn out one. At $5 a pop, I don't think that is too bad but don't buy their "Central Pneumatic" brand expecting "Chicago Pneumatic" quality.

JeffRey30747 said:
When I tried to return something bought via internet mail order to the local (Chattanooga, TN) store, I was told that the two were completely separate companies, one owned by the father and the other by a son. My guess is that it is how they get around the sales tax rule for mail order goods (You must charge tax in any state that you physically do business in).
The mail order and retail stores usually use the same stock numbers and the Chattanooga store is usually able to check the the computer for stock over the phone if given a number. I have several of the pistol grip air chisels. I think I have only ever worn out one. At $5 a pop, I don't think that is too bad but don't buy their "Central Pneumatic" brand expecting "Chicago Pneumatic" quality.

That's exactly what I was going to buy. I can buy that $5.99 air hammer with all the chisel bits or get just the chisel bits for $19.99 at big box. I did buy the Kobalt air hammer and I have to say it's lasted a solid 15 hours so far going at my chimney. I oil it every 30 minutes. From it's reviews I wasn't expecting it too last this long. It was only $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.