Racoon in my wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Air rifles .22 cal. 14 to 20+ grain pellets at 800-1000 fps. Head shots for coons ( they tough rascals) very little noise vs powder burners. CB longs in a .22 pistol ( single shot) are pretty quiet also good for 25 yards or so, again head shots.
Coyotes are becoming a bigger problem than the coons and chipmunks, and getting very bold, one by itself I do not worry much about, but anything more is a problem requiring remediation.

Reactions: ScotO
I have a cord+ stacked on my deck covered with a tarp. I move it up in the last month. A couple nights ago, the cat started going nuts at the door! Upon investigation, I found a friendly racoon. I banged on the door and he backed off a few feet. I cracked the door, and he ran up under the tarp covering my wood. This morning I went out. I hit the tarp with a broon stick, and once I convinced myself he wasn't there, I pulled back the tarp. Found a nice pile of racoon "gifts" in the middle of my stack. I am going to leave the tarp off for a while with the hopes of discouraging him to stay. Anything thing else you guys recommend?

View attachment 82109
22 long rifle, hollow point. The .17 HMR with ballistic tips make too much of a mess on the exit wound......;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Well, I don't thiink they'll be any coon deaths in my yard. Pulled my wife's bird feeder in for a few days and left the tarp pulled back, didn' seen him last night, will keep it uncovered, except when expecting rain....I think he'll just move on...

Well, I don't thiink they'll be any coon deaths in my yard. Pulled my wife's bird feeder in for a few days and left the tarp pulled back, didn' seen him last night, will keep it uncovered, except when expecting rain....I think he'll just move on...

That sounds like the easiest solution. Hope it works out. There is one in my neighborhood that come through and knock over the trash cans every few weeks. I have been working on a better way to secure the can and may have out done him now. We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.