radial arm saw vs. sliding compound miter saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
So here's a problem more people would like to have. I have a 10" compound miter saw. I have the opportunity to buy used either a Craftsman 12" radial arm saw (about 20yrs old but looks like new) or a Dewalt sliding compound miter saw (about 10 yrs old, also in good shape although it looks a little rougher). Same price.

As far as I can see, they stack up about the same, and I have the space for the radial arm, so that's where I'm leaning. Any other opnions (preferably with rationale?)

Thanks
Steve

Radial arm saw all the way. It's impossible to rip with a slide compound miter saw. Plus you get the stability of a stationary piece of equipment and the capacity of a 12" blade.

I have both, a 12" craftsman radial and a Bosch 10" compound miter. They both have their place and do different jobs but I wouldnt want to be without either. I do use the Bosch more but try to cut a 4x12 with a 10" miter saw

Sliding compound miter saw, all the way, if I could have only one.

I sold my radial arm years ago, and have never missed it. A sliding compound miter is something I could use on jobsites every several weeks. For siding, its a must-have.

It boils down to what you want to do with it.

If you want to build furniture in a shop environment, choose the radial arm.

If you want to be mobile, then the sliding compound miter, especially if you already have a table saw.

You only live once. Buy both.

Easier to cut body parts off with radial arm saw. Goes out of adjustment. By the compound miter and get a table saw for the rest.

There's recall on old Sears radial arm saws for safety shield.

Ended up buying the RAS. The flexibility is worth the risk of a digit or two (always make sure the right hand is the one working the saw).

If you notice me typing slower sometime in the future, you'll know why.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.