Radial Arm Saw Vs Compound Miter Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
I currently have a 10" Radial Arm Saw that has seen some better days, but works pretty well. It is a 1965ish with a 20" horizontal cut and lots of adjustability in the head. I also have a smaller 71/4" miter that is pretty much trashed.

As I finish up my garage project, I am looking at my best options and am thinking about ditching the radial arm saw for a 12" compound sliding miter.

The one thing that I really like about the radial arm is I can set it up to use the dado blade, and it also has a planer head (that i very infrequently use).

Thoughts?

I currently have a 10" Radial Arm Saw that has seen some better days, but works pretty well. It is a 1965ish with a 20" horizontal cut and lots of adjustability in the head. I also have a smaller 71/4" miter that is pretty much trashed.

As I finish up my garage project, I am looking at my best options and am thinking about ditching the radial arm saw for a 12" compound sliding miter.

The one thing that I really like about the radial arm is I can set it up to use the dado blade, and it also has a planer head (that i very infrequently use).

Thoughts?
I have used both accessory blades on a radial arm, I absolutely hated using them. I have ended up with the 12" mitre, and a 10" table saw for that other stuff. Much better arrangement. I won't go back to a radial arm even if someone gave me one.

There are a lot of radial arm saws collecting dust including one I have in the attic of my garage. There are all sorts of adjustments required to get a radial arm saw accurate and they tend to need frequent adjusting.

I have 2 radial arm saws built into the fence of my long crosscut bench in my shop with a sliding chopsaw between them. I have not turned on either in at least 5 years.

I have used both accessory blades on a radial arm, I absolutely hated using them. I have ended up with the 12" mitre, and a 10" table saw for that other stuff. Much better arrangement. I won't go back to a radial arm even if someone gave me one.

There are a lot of radial arm saws collecting dust including one I have in the attic of my garage. There are all sorts of adjustments required to get a radial arm saw accurate and they tend to need frequent adjusting.

I have used mine for a lot of years, and have definitely figured out its quirks. it is a pretty versatile tool, since it is always plugged in and ready to go, but I think if i get around to building something like this I can fit my needs:
1f0596718410760e55fe0e1a9bf1222c.jpg

I have used mine for a lot of years, and have definitely figured out its quirks. it is a pretty versatile tool, since it is always plugged in and ready to go, but I think if i get around to building something like this I can fit my needs:
View attachment 236768
I like the idea of a station like that. Plus, if you want to take your show on the road at any point, both tools are easily mobile, which I find invaluable.

As a Furniture Maker I have both . My Radial Arm Saw has a 32 inch throw
and uses a 16 inch blade . It is the beat saw for squaring off and easy to set up for
repeat cuts of the same length . I make a lot of 2 board harvest tables . The tops
are 48 inches wide and lengths very from 6 ft to 20 ft and the only saw to square
it off is the Radial Arm Saw . It is also used for other operations and set up is not bad .
I also have a 10 inch a sliding compound miter saw that is also used a lot . . If I were
not needing the Radial Arm Saw I'd sell it because it and its table 24 ft long take up a lot
of shop space

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
As a Furniture Maker I have both . My Radial Arm Saw has a 32 inch throw
and uses a 16 inch blade . It is the beat saw for squaring off and easy to set up for
repeat cuts of the same length . I make a lot of 2 board harvest tables . The tops
are 48 inches wide and lengths very from 6 ft to 20 ft and the only saw to square
it off is the Radial Arm Saw . It is also used for other operations and set up is not bad .
I also have a 10 inch a sliding compound miter saw that is also used a lot . . If I were
not needing the Radial Arm Saw I'd sell it because it and its table 24 ft long take up a lot
of shop space
I use my sliding bed table saw for that type of cut. I just really don't like radial arm saws. It really comes down to what you like. I personally would rather use my tablesaw and chop saw. That does not not mean that is right for anyone else.

View attachment 236768
If you like your radial arm saw fix it or replace it. It isn't what I would do but that doesn't matter.

I use my sliding bed table saw for that type of cut. I just really don't like radial arm saws. It really comes down to what you like. I personally would rather use my tablesaw and chop saw. That does not not mean that is right for anyone else.

Sliding bed table saws are great for sheet material but I would love to see you square off a 3x24x20 ft pine board

Sliding bed table saws are great for sheet material but I would love to see you square off a 3x24x20 ft pine board
Why would that be a problem? I can run the support on the table out to 14'. If I was doing 20' stuff regularly I would just make an extension. But seriously I never do anything that long so it isn't an issue for me.

Why would that be a problem? I can run the support on the table out to 14'.
Must be nice to have that much free room in your shop . Four people work out of mine with 8 to 10 projects going on at any one time
No room for that big a saw My sliding Table saw can handle 8 ft.

Must be nice to have that much free room in your shop . Four people work out of mine with 8 to 10 projects going on at any one time
No room for that big a saw My sliding Table saw can handle 8 ft.
Mine has a 12' long slide about 18" wide with a removable side table with an 8' fence that can extend out to 14'.

My shop was only ever a one to 2 man shop. Now I am a chimney sweep so it is only used for side work and personal projects.

Mine has a 12' long slide about 18" wide with a removable side table with an 8' fence that can extend out to 14'.
Nice Saw mine is a Delta RE35 but like I said it is used only for sheet material

Both saws have their place. A radial arm saw is nice for cross cuts & dado work. Miter saw are called miter saws for a reason, when they are set up right they do precision miter cuts much easier than a radial.

Reactions: bholler
Mine is an old altendorf I got used. It is a beast. If I hadn't found that saw the price I did I would have one sized similar to yours.

One thing I forgot to say, If you are looking to buy a new saw go to one of the big box stores and play with the different saws. You can feel and see the differences between the saws much easier when they are side by side. Little things like handle positions and the way the tables and head lock make a big difference.

If you could only have one saw it might make sense to have the radial otherwise I'd go with a table and a sliding miter.
The radial, at least, can do rips if needed up to the size of the saw, not so a miter saw. Wider rips could be handled with a circular saw on a track.
I like the mobile saw station idea and have been using one for about 8 years. It makes a lot of sense if space is limited or if you shop is located within the house as mine is.
https://hearth.com/talk/threads/rolling-workbench-plans.52142/#post-654070
I've since rotated the table saw 90 degrees and bought a sliding miter saw that I use on it. The built-in shop vac has been great.

If for some reason you want a radial arm saw I would keep an eye out for old industrial models made by Delta or similar brands. I would be very wary of older Sears models. They tend to be fine for rough work but they tended to be lightweight and keeping them accurate was difficult. Great for rough work but if I was doing anything accurate I would need to get the squares and feeler gauges out and realign the entire saw (which takes awhile). In engineering speak "to many degrees of freedom".

Radial arm saws were generally sold a universal power tool, one step away from the Shopsmith. Unfortunately my experience is the trade off they aren't very accurate. Mine has been stored disassembled in my garage attic for more than 28 years and I have managed not to need it. I have unisaw for a table saw and a compound miter saw on portable stand for short crosscuts.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
If for some reason you want a radial arm saw I would keep an eye out for old industrial models made by Delta or similar brands. I would be very wary of older Sears models. They tend to be fine for rough work but they tended to be lightweight and keeping them accurate was difficult. Great for rough work but if I was doing anything accurate I would need to get the squares and feeler gauges out and realign the entire saw (which takes awhile). In engineering speak "to many degrees of freedom".

Radial arm saws were generally sold a universal power tool, one step away from the Shopsmith. Unfortunately my experience is the trade off they aren't very accurate. Mine has been stored disassembled in my garage attic for more than 28 years and I have managed not to need it. I have unisaw for a table saw and a compound miter saw on portable stand for short crosscuts.
Agree with everything you said. The one I have experience with was an old Delta, purchased because they were marketed as so versatile.

The thing is rock solid.

It also has no automatic brake, so it spins forever after it's shut off. Dangerous!

Also, ripping with the thing is scary- kick backs are terrible, right at balls level.

That's when I said- no more.

Anyone with a radial arm saw has probably experienced the blade grabbing and flying towards you. My dads came with anti lickback devices, they tended to get in the way far more than they helped.

Anyone with a radial arm saw has probably experienced the blade grabbing and flying towards you. My dads came with anti lickback devices, they tended to get in the way far more than they helped.

i try not to lick my saw.... :)

i have definitely experienced throwing a piece of wood I was ripping though the drywall as it got flung through the saw.

Reactions: Lone_Gun