Railroad ties = death to a chain!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHeath

Feeling the Heat
Feb 18, 2013
Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
Ha! I knew it would kill my saw but I had 5 huge ties soaked with creosote. I have been wanting to do steps around to the basement (don't have them inside) for 10 years now. Well, yesterday I got a we hair and finished it. However the chain is finished. I made 3 cuts per tie so 15 cuts. I resharpened 6 times but the last 2 times didn't help. Looks like new chain time. Steps are done tho!

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do

Reactions: CHeath
You did the best you could for RR ties.
Lucky you only use one chain.
Good job!
Check mark on the to do list ;)

Reactions: CHeath
Ha! I knew it would kill my saw but I had 5 huge ties soaked with creosote. I have been wanting to do steps around to the basement (don't have them inside) for 10 years now. Well, yesterday I got a we hair and finished it. However the chain is finished. I made 3 cuts per tie so 15 cuts. I resharpened 6 times but the last 2 times didn't help. Looks like new chain time. Steps are done tho!

Carbide Chain! (Stihl Picco Duro or similar) The pricing has gotten much more reasonable than carbide stuff used to be. Bad news is you probably won't be able to resharpen it yourself.

With your existing chain, have you filed down the rakers? If the've never been lowered than after 6+ sharpenings it is probably high time.

One man 3 or 4 ft tuttle tooth saw still works the best for those

A $7 pro sharpening (with grinding down the depth gauge) is cheaper than $24 new chain - might be worth a try.

Used ties are usually full of dirt and that would be extra hard on a chain. Most ties have a "S" shaped chunk of metal pressed into the ends to keep the ends from splitting.

If a tie is clean and you don't try to cut through that metal it shouldn't be any harder on a chain than anything else.

I've cut a lot of them for retaining walls, etc. and never noticed them being especially hard on a chain if you are careful where you cut

My steps are not worthy lol. They are just steps. Nuttin fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.