Ram Leak Repair Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

69_Eliminator

Nov 26, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hello All! My brother and I recently acquired a homemade log splitter that was a non-working project. We got it up and running and we have a hydraulic leak where the ram piston comes out of the housing. Is this an easy fix or would we better off pulling the whole ram off and dropping it off at a hydraulics shop? We are both pretty good mechanics so we're not afraid to do it ourselves, but don't want to get in over our heads since we aren't hydraulic experts.

Can anyone tell us what all is involved in fixing a leak like this?

Attachments

• Ram leak_small.jpg
    Ram leak_small.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 175
Probably depends on the brand of cylinder, I used to fix cylinders on fork lifts and it was straight forward but I have heard some of the cylinders can be tricky to put a kit in.

It appears to be the wiper seal leaking. The big deal is getting the cap off. Replacing the seal is fairly easy.

It appears to be the wiper seal leaking. The big deal is getting the cap off. Replacing the seal is fairly easy.
Jags, thanks for chiming in. We really appreciate your help in getting it up and running.

Does the end cap just unscrew? Is the wiper seal something like an o-ring or a general piece we can get? We have no clue on what brand of cylinder this is or what it came off of.

Thanks!

Hey - no problem.
It is hard to tell from your pics, but yes, it appears to be the style that unscrews. Once you get it apart, take it to any local hydro shop and they should be able to match/order the specs. It is a seal not unlike a grease seal on an axle.
Make sure that you don't have any pitting or scratches on the shaft that could be rough on the new seal.

For SOME reason - if you can't get the cap off, just take the whole thing down to your local shop. This is generally pretty easy stuff for them to do.

Jags is the man! I think what started the leak in the first place was where some rust ran off the weld where the pusher plate was fitted to the end of the ram, & the ram retracted all the way into the cylinder before I could stop it. Wish I'd taken a few minutes before we test ran it & cleaned that little bit of rust off!

Last edited:
Jags is the man!

Thanks for the kind words. I like seeing folks tackle projects like this. It seams like it is becoming a lost art. I don't mind helping out when folks have issues with something that I have worked on before. Much of it just becomes basic troubleshooting and my brain likes that kind of activity.:p (and I like the challenge).

(Most folks that meet me in person would never believe that I am a computer dude by trade.)

I like seeing folks tackle projects like this. It seams like it is becoming a lost art.

I like to fix things. Not only does it save money and allow us to do many things that we wouldn't be able to do otherwise, but gives an awesome feeling of accomplishment!

I like to fix things. Not only does it save money and allow us to do many things that we wouldn't be able to do otherwise, but gives an awesome feeling of accomplishment!

The same reason that I like to build things. My big log splitter:
100_1547sm.jpg

And my little one (its pretty fast):
splitter1.jpg

The same reason that I like to build things. My big log splitter:
View attachment 119358

And my little one (its pretty fast):
View attachment 119359
Your log splitters look good! The big one looks similar to ours. I've never tackled completely building something out of nothing, but have taken my '81 Jeep down to the frame and built it back up with friends.

Reactions: Jags
By the looks of the end of the cylinder it is the type that you remove the snap ring, then tap the end IN about a half inch. You should then have a second lock ring under the outer edge. Once that is out you can pull the end out. Remove the hoses & drain the cylinder first and use the ram as a slide hammer. Depending on how much rust you have it can be an easy half hour job or a MAJOR PITA.

There's, also more to the seals in the head of the cylinder than just the wiper. There should be the real "seals" or packing in the head (gland)....

Hyco-Cylinder.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's, also more to the seals in the head of the cylinder than just the wiper. There should be the real "seals" or packing in the head (gland)....
Absolutely. The wiper does not hold pressure and the entire seal kit should be done if you have it apart (I did a poor job of conveying that). Greg13 might also be correct. It is pretty hard to tell from the pics. Ya just gotta dig into it.

By the looks of the end of the cylinder it is the type that you remove the snap ring, then tap the end IN about a half inch. You should then have a second lock ring under the outer edge. Once that is out you can pull the end out. Remove the hoses & drain the cylinder first and use the ram as a slide hammer. Depending on how much rust you have it can be an easy half hour job or a MAJOR PITA.

We looked at it closer last night. It looks like a snap ring or two stacked on top of each other, but there is no gap to open it up.

Here is a closeup pic.

Attachments

• Ram closup_small.jpg
    Ram closup_small.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 151
Are you sure that the collar doesn't turn off like the lid to a jar? I don't see any other reason for that collar/shoulder to be there. Can you see the remnants to any threads behind it? Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, but take a good close look at it.

Note - it appears that the cylinder has been repaired before. Notice the brazing on the hose port.

... just trying to help....
And doing a fine job of it. Thats what this place is all about. People helping people.

My brother & and I really appreciate everyone's help! Thanks again!

I am sure that is the type of cylinder that the head has to go in to get to the second ring. Try doing a good job with a wire brush on the ring, it may be a spiral ring.
You may end up at a Hydraulic shop if for no other reason to save time, Like I said some of them are a MAJOR PITA.

I am sure that is the type of cylinder that the head has to go in to get to the second ring. Try doing a good job with a wire brush on the ring, it may be a spiral ring.
You may end up at a Hydraulic shop if for no other reason to save time, Like I said some of them are a MAJOR PITA.
Good to know. Spiral rings ARE a pia.

Status
Not open for further replies.