Rattle Gone - - - THANK YOU

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UpstateTim

Nov 29, 2010
Upstate NY
Holy _ _ _ _!!!! I've had annoying rattles in my wood burning insert since the 2nd year we had it. For the last 3 years we've kept a big rock leaning against the top plate to stop it from rattling and last year I put insulation around the fans to reduce the vibration. Unfortunately, since we've burned for about 50 days already this winter, the progressive increase in noise was really starting to get to me. Thanksgiving was the last straw. The motor vibration was getting worse and worse (although the rock continued to work like a champ). When we had the TV volume on 14, I'd had enough & decided to call somebody to get the motor housing removed and replaced.

I did an internet search to try to find a local contractor, but instead stumbled on this forum. As I read the thread on rattles, I came away with two ideas. One (thank you Kroozer!) was to clean out the fan housings. I pulled some dust out by hand and then shop-vac'd the rest. The other idea was to use car stereo mounting insulation. Thank you SaintJimB! I went to Pep Boys & grabbed Dynamat for $40. I put some around the motors and some on the bottom of the plate above the motors. UNBELIEVEABLE! No more noise.

No contractor, no new motor assembly, no rock, no velcro, no tin foil, no noise. My wife is thrilled that the noise is gone (which obviously is a good thing). I'm thrilled too......but also a little embarrassed that it took me 4 years of progressively worsening racket to finally find such simple solutions! Duh! You mean a clean fan will vibrate less than a dirty one? Gee, that's a shocker, and if stereo insulation can keep 50 gigawatt woofers from vibrating, it can take on a 15 amp fan? OY-YOY! I guess I can't be accused of having an abundance of common sense!

You may want to buy $20 worth of Dynomat instead of the $40 triangular roll that I bought, because I now have enough left over to fix another 20 stoves....or maybe I should take the back seats out of my car and mount a stereo system that will insure total hearing loss in the next few years??? Nah, I think I'll keep my hearing & the leftover materials for a noisy day.

Thanks again for the great solutions. It should make the next 4 months of winter a lot more peaceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.