Ravelii Roma baffle has fallen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wmccormick

Nov 11, 2018
New Hampshire
Just had our Ravelli Roma installed yesterday. Ran the stove overnight. Awoke this morning to find the baffle at the top of chamber has dropped down (Back to front), essentially blocking most of the view into the chamber. Any guesses why? Is this supposed to happen? Would love to call the dealer, but they are closed on Sunday. The instruction manual doesn’t mention this anywhere. It simply identifies the part in a description drawing as the “baffle” but doesn’t say what it,does, how it works or what the purpose is. Thank you.

The baffle (or "flame trap") probably was not installed correctly. It may have been jostled out of its proper position during shipping. The front edge has a slot, that a tab (attached to the stove, top front of the combustion chamber) fits into, then the baffle is pivoted upward and slid back (towards the rear of the combustion chamber) until the rear edge of the baffle rests on the rear L bracket (top rear of combustion chamber).

The baffle (or "flame trap") probably was not installed correctly. It may have been jostled out of its proper position during shipping. The front edge has a slot, that a tab (attached to the stove, top front of the combustion chamber) fits into, then the baffle is pivoted upward and slid back (towards the rear of the combustion chamber) until the rear edge of the baffle rests on the rear L bracket (top rear of combustion chamber).

Thank you. I shut the stove off and when it cooled a little, put the baffle back. Works great now. Glad it didn’t swing down and break the glass. What exactly does the baffle do?

Thank you. I shut the stove off and when it cooled a little, put the baffle back. Works great now. Glad it didn’t swing down and break the glass. What exactly does the baffle do?

The flame trap protects the heat exchanger tubes from the direct flame. I had a similar issue with my Francesca on initial install. They can be a little tricky setting into place. They should be removed periodically for cleaning the upper heat exchanger area.

Just had a Roma installed.... the baffle keeps swinging down. Is it really just supposed to hang from the front tab and the other side sit (unsecured) on the back firex plate? Worried it might break the glass when it swings down.

No there should be a tab on the back word fits into an opening so it's secure on the front with slide-in and on the back which fits down into the tab. At least that's how my ravelli rv100 C as its powerful

When l purchased and installed my Francesca a few years ago the flame baffle was shipped in the pellet hopper. I had no idea what it was and the barely comprehensible instructions made no mention of it. I ran for most of the first season without the baffle in place until I read some about it on this forum. The heat tubes seem ok but I was initially bummed thinking I may have shortened the tube life with direct flame.

Got home from work today and the flame guard plate was just hanging there again... Took some pictures....advice anyone?

Attachments

• 20191028_174117.jpg
    20191028_174117.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 440
  • 20191028_175222.jpg
    20191028_175222.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 458
  • 20191028_174148.jpg
    20191028_174148.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 432
  • 20191028_174209.jpg
    20191028_174209.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 464
  • 20191028_174106.jpg
    20191028_174106.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 522
So I found this document online...it looks like it is just supposed to rest there.... >.<

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-28 at 8.35.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-28 at 8.35.26 PM.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 609
Yeah that baffle is not the same as the one in my RV 100c. My RV 100 C has a tab on the back of the baffle that goes down into an open slot and there's no way it would come out without lifting it. If yours is a new stove it looks like there might be a design change or not. Guess different models have have different specs. No surprise there.

Last edited:
From Zazzie picture have you been putting yours in upside down

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Are you installing it with the tab at the top of the window frame through the hole? It might put down pressure on the plate to hold it in place. Im just guessing/grasping at straws _g

Hi, I'm new to the forum here and I'm having the same exact problem with the Baffle working it's way forward during the heating / cooling process and falling down. The baffle is installed correctly but I'm concerned that with the expansion and contraction from heating and cooling, the baffle keeps moving forward until it falls. There is no stopper that prevents the baffle from moving forward and I've actually opened the door after a few heat cycles and it is definitely moving. I'm surprised there's not a clip or an actual ledge that the baffle fits "securely" into without a chance of it moving. Any suggestions?

i would contact the dealer. this is looking like a trend

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I've had the same issue on my 1.5 year old Roma, too. I'd say based on recent experience that the manual pages others posted on this thread that it could be wrong. I figured out that by installing it with the back tab angled up, it would always fall, slam into the glass and just hang from the front slot.

Now, I install it with the tab angled downward and instead of propping it on top of the cutaway in the vermiculite, now it sits securily a bit higher. It no longer touches the vermiculite at the tab, but does sit on top of it around the curved edges.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 9DDF1F4D-7EDF-4185-B3B3-863C06278F48.jpeg
    9DDF1F4D-7EDF-4185-B3B3-863C06278F48.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 316
  • A3648337-AD77-4BA4-BFBF-B29BBEA12D47.jpeg
    A3648337-AD77-4BA4-BFBF-B29BBEA12D47.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 338
Think I'd be welding an extension on it in the back. Kind of a hokey design in my view.

Where can I buy the baffle online? We used our Roma for a year, it gave us the service code. So we had a guy come out a service it. He asked where our baffle was, I said “Baffle?” What baffle? Then he explained that it should have had one when installed and been used since. Then we found out we should have received a pusher too. So the service guy called them and arranged for it to be ordered and such.
That was in Sept. I stopped in there, (I was in town) and asked about it, they just shrugged their shoulder and didn’t seem to concerned about. Confirmed my information and said they’d call me. They stink Hearth Works Fireside Systems Inc. out of Hooksett, NH

Hello, when you clean your Roma, could someone please measure the baffle and send me the measurements? Let me know what material it’s made of and I can fab one up. I not having any luck with the store that sold it to me. TYIA