RE: It's here, it's here . . . the Jotul Rangeley

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it, but I think I'll like the new Woodstock even better. It will be interesting to see the reviews of the new Jotul this Winter if they ever get it out in the market.

I like many features of the stove too. It targets the medium stove market rather than the large stove market of the new Fireview. If the burntime competes with the medium PE stoves, it could be an alternative in the medium sized stove market with the unique top loading. I particularly like that they paid attention to designing it for 18" N/S loading for longer burns. It will be interesting to see this stove perform in the field.

After considering all of the above, I'll keep the 30. Don't see any reason not too.

Agreed, no reason to downsize... and it's paid for + custom painted.

The video was nice to watch, but the presenter is a goober.

I like the looks of the stove. With the rear flue piece being the same as my Castine, and its close rear install clearance, it looks like it would direct replace my stove no problem.

But I am not certain I would use the top-load feature, so why would I want one? I have a teapot on my stove, as well as one of those gimmick fans. With this stove, to top-load, these two items would have to come off and be set down (somewhere, they will be hot) each time I want to add wood. Too, the guy states you can get up to 20" wood, and load NS, by using the front door.

So, its not for me, as is.

Now, a version minus the top door and the associated parts and pieces for the bypass, would be right up my alley. Maybe several hundred dollars less expensive, too.

The side handle opens the top to the firebox, once loaded if you forget, closing the top automatically closes the firebox again so the reclaimer is back at it.Saw 1 today and getting 1 soon.

It is a OK looking stove, looks aren't everything. I don't know if I want to drop an 18" log (2:25) into my stove, sounds a little extreme. He explains the core demographic are baby boomers that have money and can't bend over. I really don't think those people are buying wood stoves. If anything, they should of made it a side loader. There are very few small side loading stoves.

tsquini said:
He explains the core demographic are baby boomers that have money and can't bend over. I really don't think those people are buying wood stoves.

Well heck. I wasn't gonna buy one but now I gotta have me one of them things. :coolsmirk:

EddyKilowatt said:
Can someone explain why Top Loading is such a great feature?

Like others of said, it makes loading a LOT easier, you just drop the pieces of wood in. I don't own a Top-loader, but I have loaded one before, it was one of those cheap sheet-metal "airtight" heaters. Even when you open the lid, the smoke is drawn up the chimney.
The floor around them stays cleaner too, because nothing ever rolls out when you open the door.
Another "advantage" is you can get away with letting the ashes build up higher before having to clean it out. :lol:

Looks a little like my new Hampton but not as good looking ;-)

Attachments

• Jotul_TL_50_mod.jpg
    Jotul_TL_50_mod.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 236
  • H200-A-610x340.jpg
    H200-A-610x340.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 251
Door latch is quite similar also. So much better than the turn style.Feels more solid. They do look alot alike.I have looked the Hamptons over quite well.

Bub381 said:
Door latch is quite similar also. So much better than the turn style.Feels more solid. They do look alot alike.I have looked the Harmans over quite well.
Yes, the door latches are very simillar. In fact, my Hampton came with a black handle. I liked the wood handle they show in their literature, so I ask my dealer to see if he could get me one. He did but I had to pay for it.

I think they work the same also.I liked the Hamptons but the other half wouldn't go for em. She liked the Jotuls so we met half way,looking at the Rangeley again. It was our 1st pick but we'll see.Made our mind up on several stoves then ya read someting ya don't like.lol The Rangeley does seem to fit though.

Bub381 said:
I think they work the same also.I liked the Harmans but the other half wouldn't go for em. She liked the Jotuls so we met half way,looking at the Rangeley again. It was our 1st pick but we'll see.Made our mind up on several stoves then ya read someting ya don't like.lol The Rangeley does seem to fit though.
Bub381, Mine is a Hampton. I looked at the Harmans too. Nice stoves.

lol Sorry, i mix em up.I looked at the H200 and 300. I edited those posts

Status
Not open for further replies.