Re: No heat home . . . or very little

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I think I posted this many years ago . . . thought it was worth posting again . . . I don't think I could live this way . . . especially since I am now used to the very warm temps in the home.

http://www.mpbn.net/News/MPBNNews/tabid/1159/ctl/ViewItem/mid/3762/ItemId/10832/Default.aspx

http://coldhousejournal.com/
40 in the house isn't that awful. I know, it was 88 in my living room last night. My wife and I live in a 1860's log home and before I (insurance claim) installed a modern EPA stove and I worked 3rd shift I came home a few mornings and the dogs water dish would have ice in it. My wife was notorious for not keeping a fire in the old craft slammer stove. We also didn't have a child at the time so she would come home from work around 10pm and go straight upstairs to the bedroom and crank up the electric blanket because she knew I would be home by 845am or so and would make heat in the stove.

Deliberately living in Canada without heat. That man is insane.

Reactions: Knots
we had an icestorm hear hydro towers came crashing down no electricity for a couple a weeks happened same time of year.you survive.check out avatar that little fireplace used to heat 1730s three story stone building they must have frozen their butts off my wife and i walk around with coats and hats on now

Deliberately living in Canada without heat. That man is insane.
They live in Maine!

Nice post Jake. SOme people will try anything. I, on the other hand, prefer living life a little more comfortably. If I was alone I'd live in a cardboard box. My wife and kids have a little bigger standards than I. lol

Andrew

They live in Maine!

If you live in northern Maine, you live further north than most Canadians.

For the two years prior to this I was renting an 1830's vintage house with an undersized, very old Portland Stove Company wood stove in the basement. I wasn't able to get it over 55 in the winter (no way was I touching the electric heat!). It got old after a while....

Status
Not open for further replies.