Ready for Heating Season 2015+

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stayfitz

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2012
Reno, NV
Purchased (4) ton of Cascade 100% Douglas Fir from Home Depot. Arrived this morning. Moved and stacked in about 1.25 hours. (1) ton Blazers and (3.25) ton Golden Fire from prior heating season(s). The Cascade product is really good! A Best Buy @ $249 per ton (plus, 10% off coupon = $224.10 per ton)! IMG_0783-1.JPG

Quite the stash there.

You have excellent taste in Charcoal too! I love that Stub's mopping sauce for my Boston butt

Thanks! We tried several bags of charcoal - Trader Joe's, Stub's, and Royal Oak. All are good. Trader Joe's is the easiest one to acquire (weekly food shopping) and a good price

Does it really get that cold in reno?

Yes. Northern NV is nothing like Vegas (450 miles away), etc. We're 30 minutes from Lake Tahoe, Truckee (Donner Party), etc. Our house is located @ 4,600'. Heating season is long (late September to late May) with sizable temperature fluctuations. Plus, we heat exclusively with pellets

Purchased (4) ton of Cascade 100% Douglas Fir from Home Depot. Arrived this morning. Moved and stacked in about 1.25 hours. (1) ton Blazers and (3.25) ton Golden Fire from prior heating season(s). The Cascade product is really good! A Best Buy @ $249 per ton (plus, 10% off coupon = $224.10 per ton)!View attachment 161068
Looks awesome how are the Blazers just bought 3 ton first time using them

Looks awesome how are the Blazers just bought 3 ton first time using them

Blazers are very good... of the 6-7 Douglas Fir products I tested, they rank in the middle, but I've never had any experiences with non-Douglas Fir pellets. On the East Coast, 100% Douglas Fir seems like a novelty

Blazers are very good... of the 6-7 Douglas Fir products I tested, they rank in the middle, but I've never had any experiences with non-Douglas Fir pellets. On the East Coast, 100% Douglas Fir seems like a novelty
Thanks sounds like I made the right choice. Okanagan df around here are 360 per ton. I had a chance at prebuy to secure blazers at 299 per ton and pulled the trigger. In mass they are selling box store junk for 279 a ton and sometimes more. What are your top three favorite pellets..

Reactions: stayfitz
Thanks sounds like I made the right choice. Okanagan df around here are 360 per ton. I had a chance at prebuy to secure blazers at 299 per ton and pulled the trigger. In mass they are selling box store junk for 279 a ton and sometimes more. What are your top three favorite pellets..

I think you will really like them! And at $299, they're in the ballpark. When I visit family back East, I tour the local pellet stores (big box stores, etc) just for "fun". Prices are wild! Plus, those HD's & Lowes' seem to sell rather low-grade stuff. Not surprising, I guess.

My favorite 100% DF pellets -
1) Cascade/Olympus (Pacific Coast Fiber Fuels)
2) Golden Fire (Bear Mountain)
3) North Idaho Energy Logs

I think you will really like them! And at $299, they're in the ballpark. When I visit family back East, I tour the local pellet stores (big box stores, etc) just for "fun". Prices are wild! Plus, those HD's & Lowes' seem to sell rather low-grade stuff. Not surprising, I guess.

My favorite 100% DF pellets -
1) Cascade/Olympus (Pacific Coast Fiber Fuels)
2) Golden Fire (Bear Mountain)
3) North Idaho Energy Logs
Nice, it's weird I tried north idaho last year bought about 20 bags. First 10 I bought in dec were awesome, then I bought another 10 toward the end of January and they were burning more like the purcell pellets. I know they are the same company but purcell burnt dirty in my stove and a lot of others as well. Wonder if the north idaho used the purcell pellets and re bagged then toward the middle of the season. I am hoping blazers are like the good batch of North idaho I got, those were awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.