Ready for my second season with my BK King but I do have a Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

05ramctd

Oct 29, 2013
NEPA
Hello all, Well after my first impressive season heating my ranch between 2800 to 3000 sq ft (all depends if I count the man room), I was just wondering if anyone has the same chimney set up I do. Off the stove into single 8 inch into double wall class A that goes into a block wall. The class A enters the main chimney with a 1.5 inch overhang into the main chimney. The main chimney is terracotta 12X12. The length is 25 ft to the exit with a chimney cap to keep critters out. After my first season I had no creosote from the middle of the chimney up to the top all but a very fine dust. Had some creosote in the pipe off the stove until it hit the class A then it was just a fine film of powder. In all I removed on half of a five gallon pail of creosote from the chimney. In my old fireplace insert I removed one and a half five gallon pails twice a burning season. Just wondering if anyone else place a class A into a 12x12 chimney and if so what results did you have. Does anyone see any problems with this set up. As always thanks for your information,

class A.jpg

The pipe class A or terra cotta should be flush with the interior clay liner. Going from an 8" round (50 sq in.) pipe to a 12" sq inch pipe (11 x11 ID) is doubling the throat area. It will slow down the flue gases, but the proof is in the pudding. Sounds like you are burning hot enough with good dry wood so that this is not a major issue. 25' of chimney definitely helps.

Thanks, wood has been seasoned for two plus years, If these cool nights keep up will be burning sooner than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.