Ready for winter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ben94122

Burning Hunk
Sep 4, 2017
California
It's starting to cool off and rain in the Northern Sierra Nevada...
1569565394696.png1569565424781.png

The tarp is from a mobile home. Temporary solution. The kids are permanent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly Pine, from what I see in the background?

Attachments

• ready.jpg
    ready.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 301
Reactions: Lone_Gun and RAD418
hope i'm ready.
You should be. With the Oh, Long Arms, you can carry a lot of wood at once, cutting down unnecessary trips to the stack. ;)
Kidding aside, that is one serious stash of farwood! _g

Winter is not going to arrive here for some time yet. Supposed to be close to 90 today and maybe next week. After that though they are calling for a significant cool down. Maybe in the 50's. So some breakin fires end of October maybe.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
100_2169.JPG

Forecast for Helena, Montana.

.TONIGHT...Windy, colder, snow. Patchy blowing snow. Visibility
one quarter mile or less at times. Snow accumulation of 6 to
12 inches. Near steady temperature in the upper 20s. North winds
20 to 30 mph with gusts to around 45 mph. Chance of snow near
100 percent.

.SUNDAY...Breezy, snow. Patchy blowing snow. Snow may be heavy at
times. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Snow
accumulation of 9 to 15 inches. Near steady temperature in the
upper 20s. North winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow near
100 percent.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...Snow in the evening, then chance of snow after
midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Snow accumulation up to
3 inches. Lows 20 to 25. North winds 5 to 15 mph. Chance of snow
near 100 percent.

I am just starting to burn in my new stove, a Lopi Liberty. It replaces my old smoke dragon I have burned for 30 years, an Earthstove 101. The Lopi is harder to manage because of the much smaller firebox. I can only get two splits in at a time, and the short lip means I will have to clean out after one or two days. I had hoped that this would burn longer overnight, but it does not seem to be the case. Probably because I only have very very dry and somewhat punky pine to burn.

You'll get longer burns once you get used to the stove, it's a learning curve going from an old stove to the newer ones.

Today was to be the day I’d officially be ready for winter. I planned to move my last 1.5 cord to the garage and >finally< clean the chimney from last year. Heading outside, the dog acted like he wanted attention, so I grabbed his brush. A minute into de-hairing the beast, my back exploded in the spot I tweaked this summer while pulling spotted knapweed from the orchard. I can almost take a full breath now and walking doesn’t hurt as long as I lean forward a bit. Looks like it’ll be another week before I’m ready.

I hate spotted knapweed.

The dog is oblivious.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Today was to be the day I’d officially be ready for winter. I planned to move my last 1.5 cord to the garage and >finally< clean the chimney from last year. Heading outside, the dog acted like he wanted attention, so I grabbed his brush. A minute into de-hairing the beast, my back exploded in the spot I tweaked this summer while pulling spotted knapweed from the orchard. I can almost take a full breath now and walking doesn’t hurt as long as I lean forward a bit. Looks like it’ll be another week before I’m ready.

I hate spotted knapweed.

The dog is oblivious.
Lost this weekend and last weekend to an exploded back - hope your recovery is quicker. I wasn't doing anything as crazy as brushing a dog, I stood up after putting on socks.............

View attachment 248302

100 percent.

100 percent.

near 100 percent.

I am just starting to burn in my new stove, a Lopi Liberty. It replaces my old smoke dragon I have burned for 30 years, an Earthstove 101. The Lopi is harder to manage because of the much smaller firebox. I can only get two splits in at a time, and the short lip means I will have to clean out after one or two days. I had hoped that this would burn longer overnight, but it does not seem to be the case. Probably because I only have very very dry and somewhat punky pine to burn.
We have the Lopi Liberty since we started burning in 2008 or 09, we burn our splits loaded north/south which should allow you to get more than two splits in but your split length will need to be under 16 inches, I cut our firewood just over 15 inches long.

Sorry to say this but Better You Than Me. Stay warm

View attachment 248302

100 percent.

100 percent.

near 100 percent.

I visited a doctor friend of mine a few days in Polebridge he'sway off the beaten path with 60 beautiful acres and two cabins,got out of there just in time. What fantastic country,stay warm.

I always look forward to the beginning of winter, after which I always look forward to the beginning of spring. [emoji3]

I’m not a big fan of February or July, but October in PA is glorious.

I hate spotted knapweed.

The dog is oblivious.
I did that three months ago surgery one month ago herniated disc,another month to recover at least,watch your back.And hope your recovery is quicker than mine.

Reactions: mountain man 2
I always look forward to the beginning of winter, after which I always look forward to the beginning of spring. [emoji3]

I’m not a big fan of February or July, but October in PA is glorious.
Same here, Sept-Oct are great months, beautiful cool weather, good time of the year to work on your wood supply.

I'm in the same area as ben94122. Just got my 15+ cords of mixed pine, fir, cedar and black oak under cover.
WP_20190927_13_50_22_Pro[1].jpg

We actually got our first dusting of snow Sunday eve. Much earlier than normal, glad I'm ready.

I still need to clean out spring's ashes, sweep each chimney, and adjust my door gaskets. Can't even remember if I left cat bypass open or closed, but closed I suspect... haven't touched them since the last fire in spring.

It'll be close to 90F here tomorrow.

I’ve had quite a few fires in the stove now. It’s been very wet and cold up here. It had rained 14 of the last 15 days and we set the annual precipitation record as of last Tuesday the 1st and there’s a whole quarter in the year from there on in to smash the record. The previous record was in 2016 and the runner up year was last year. I mow cabin lawns in the summer months and it hasn’t been a good year to mow. Or to be a roofer like a friend is lol...

Last edited: