rear log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
i've had this log splitter for about 14 years and have no luck finding parts for it. i done search after search and nothing. i've run about 50 to 60 cord thru it and am looking for the company that back in 1979 had this log splitter in a magazine called farm show. just found this tonight. it's a woodsman made by a company called thrust out of california back in 1979 but tried to call the number on the splitter and nothing ( Thrust Manufacturing Inc., 6901 S. Yosemite St., Englewood, Colo. 80112 (ph 303 770-3163). does anyone no what happened to this company? this is a non hydraulic splitter and am trying to get a pulley that has a v belt attached to it for reverse. anybody ever seen one? the belt is missing for the drive but that upper back pulley with the screws thru the belt into the pulley is the one i'm looking for.

thanks
frank

Attachments

• DSC028941.JPG
    DSC028941.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 586
  • DSC02892.JPG
    DSC02892.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 796
this is what i found

1979 - Volume #3, Issue #5, Page #15

[ Sample Stories From This Issue | List of All Stories In This Issue | Print this story ]
«Previous Next»
Non-Hydraulic Log Splitter

1567_l.jpg
Except for those cone-shaped spirals, virtually every mechanized log splitter on the market uses a hydraulic cylinder to provide the splitting force.
Now comes the Woodsman, a first-of-its-kind "non-hydraulic" splitter that uses a revolutionary worm shaft drive instead of a hydraulic cylinder.
The 5-hp gas engine rotates the shaft, moving a large "nut" forward or backward inside the heavy steel beam box. This nut is attached to the pusher plate which forces the log toward the wedge with tremendous force but under complete control at all times.
"The mechanical principle is similar to the operation of a common bench vise- rotating the shaft closes the vise by moving one jaw toward the other," the manufacturer explains. "On the Woodsman, the engine rotates the shaft and the stationary jaw is the wedge."
A simple V-belt drive activates the shaft in response to pressure on the control arm. Releasing the control arm stops the motion of the pusher plate. Reverse pressure on the arm engages the reverse drive and returns the pusher plate for the next log. The stroke may be stopped, started or reversed at any point for maximum efficiency in splitting varying length logs. The pusher plate travels to within 11/4 in. of the wedge for complete splitting of stringy woods.
Another key feature of the Woodsman is its fast 3 to 5 second stroke return. Splitting time is 16 to 18 seconds per log, depending on the model.
The model 2003 Woodsman splits logs up to 20 in. in length. There is no physical limit to diameter of logs it will handle but the manufacturer says it performs best on logs up to about 18 in. in dia.
The model 2605 is equipped with a 5-hp, engine and generates over 30,000 lbs. of splitting force. The pusher plate travels to within 11/4 in. of the wedge to split stringy logs completely.
The model 2605T is the same splitter as the 2605 except that it has the added convenience of a complete highway towing package - high speed highway tires and wheels, a ball hitch and a full lighting system.
Suggested retail is $545 for the model 2003 ( 3-hp. engine) and $695 for the model 2605 ( 5-hp. engine).
For more details, contact: FARM SHOW Followup, Thrust Manufacturing Inc., 6901 S. Yosemite St., Englewood, Colo. 80112 (ph 303 770-3163).

used to do maintenance on big commercial ac, they had similar size pulleys. we would get them at a/c or motor supply, like johnstone, we had a electric motor rebuilder local that kept pulleys and belts would take it to one of them and ask

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Try us bearings and drives, now it's called motion industries . Not sure what's in your area but look for a bearing and drive supply house industrial park most likey where it would be located it looks rather common

i did take it to a local bearing shop a few years ago and they had nothing. they never seen a pulley with a v belt mounted to it. they got me the pulley that the v belt fit into but that was it. that's why you see the belt mounted with screw and nuts because i had to make something for reverse. i tried a bunch of adhesives but first time i try to reverse it the belt came off. i guess i'll try another

Ive seen rubber and metal discs on older equipment, like Bolens, used for reverse gear. If your pulley is fine, just cut a piece of v-belt to size and bolt it to the pulley, assuming the belt is centered in the sheve. Many of the walk behind snow blowers use a disc for forward speeds and reverse, but I do not think those disks will hold up for your reverse You could drill and tap the pulley and use locktite to secure the belt.

You could use something like this belt

https://3bgsupply.com/d-d-global-aa...MIo9PPhOv81gIVgx-GCh2stQ0-EAQYASABEgJedPD_BwE

Attachments

• double v belt.jpg
    double v belt.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Last edited:
That is a strange config. Never seen one like it. What is currently the problem? Is the belt portion not engaging reverse correctly? Worn out??

the pulley for reverse has a v belt glued flat side in the groove of the pulley so that the v is sticking out so when i need reverse the motor is moved so that that v on the belt fits into a second pulley to reverse the push plate to put in a log to split. i've tried different glues but the belt rips right of the first pulley that it is mounted to.

hope that wasn't to long:confused:

the pulley for reverse has a v belt glued flat side in the groove of the pulley so that the v is sticking out so when i need reverse the motor is moved so that that v on the belt fits into a second pulley to reverse the push plate to put in a log to split. i've tried different glues but the belt rips right of the first pulley that it is mounted to.

hope that wasn't to long:confused:
If you place the belt right side in will it center itself? AND what do you have a photo of the other disks mating surface?

the pulley for reverse has a v belt glued flat side in the groove
This tells me that the right stuff is out there...now, just got to find it.

Does that pulley have any holes in it? Maybe the belt is supposed to have studs in it (heat up some pieces of finishing nails and push them in?). It can't be a loop if it was fixed in place, so maybe just a bolt.

If you place the belt right side in will it center itself? AND what do you have a photo of the other disks mating surface?
the original is long gone, but from what i can remember it had no holes just glue with a perfectly cut v belt placed in upside down. i've tried as the adhesive liquid nails, bondo and i can't remember what brand but some type of 2 part mixed together and a week to two weeks to dry and 1st 2nd or 3rd time using it the belt would come off. so that's when i said screw it i need to split and used nut and bolt and that's what i'm using at the moment. i replace the belt about every other year.

This tells me that the right stuff is out there...now, just got to find it.
yep that's what i have trying to do but nothing come's up. what i'm using now stays on but does not have the power to pull back when the plate is jammed up tight against the log i have to turn the pulley with a pry bar (and it's not that tight) i just use it to back up the plate.

the other surfaces are regular pulley's the upside down v belt sticks itself into a pulley and in the picture the front small pulley on the motor side has a belt that sits in that pulley and the other below so when i take the handle mounted to the motor mount i pull to one side and that tightens up the belt for driving the plate into the wood to push the wood into the wedge after splitting i push the motor to the other direction and the pulley with the belt mounted to it mates with a regular pulley and drives the plate back so i can reload a log. and when everything is in top running shape there is space enough to split and it will do it a 26 inch log