Rear Tire Chains?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it needs only a couple links to shorten it, we've just doubled over the chain and wired it together. That will work for the whole season.

Shari said:
...and you are cutting out chain from the center of the cross over and then somehow reattaching the two ends? What tool is used to reattach? (This is Chain-How-To Dummy Style for me!:) )

Cutting off the end that is just a regular chain end, so you are left with a regular chain end if that makes any sense. The other end should have the attachment peices so dont cut those off. I had to cut quite a bit off so it was necessary for me, but yeah if its just a couple links you could just tie it off. I used bolt cutters, for all the more I use bolt cutters for the cheap ones from HF are all I need. My chains have a hook on one side and the other side has an odd looking piece that loops through the link on the other side then back on itself and locks in place. So other than something to cut the chain, no special tools needed (well except an air compressor if your going to deflate & reinflate the tires). Oh and make sure the sharp chain ends are pointing out and not into your tire.

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
Shari said:
...and you are cutting out chain from the center of the cross over and then somehow reattaching the two ends? What tool is used to reattach? (This is Chain-How-To Dummy Style for me!:) )

Cutting off the end that is just a regular chain end, so you are left with a regular chain end if that makes any sense. The other end should have the attachment peices so dont cut those off. I had to cut quite a bit off so it was necessary for me, but yeah if its just a couple links you could just tie it off. I used bolt cutters, for all the more I use bolt cutters for the cheap ones from HF are all I need. My chains have a hook on one side and the other side has an odd looking piece that loops through the link on the other side then back on itself and locks in place. So other than something to cut the chain, no special tools needed (well except an air compressor if your going to deflate & reinflate the tires). Oh and make sure the sharp chain ends are pointing out and not into your tire.

Ah, we are talking about two different things: I'm talking about the cross chains, the ones that go across the tread not the chain that goes around sidewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.