rear vent woodstove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hal

Sep 9, 2013
I have an older farm house that has a masonry chimney. I had a stainless steel 6 inch flexible liner installed due to the age of the chimney. It has a fixed center thimble height of 28-1/2 ". I have an older Nordic stove (very similar to the Jøtul F 118 CB Black Bear ) that has become leaky. I rebuilt it about five years ago but never could get it tight to prevent smoking. I want to purchase a new stove, but need rear vent that will be the same height. Any suggestions on a stove with that height rear vent? Don't want to spend a fortune either!

Welcome Hal, stick around.....
If I could type, this would be a long response. I'm not familiar with the Nortic at all. If leaks are causing smoke in the house, you have a poor draft problem. With good draft, the stove would be sucking fresh air through any leaks possibly causing an over-fire. Replacing the stove won't solve the draft problem. Finding another stove with the same vent height would be a coincidence, don't limit yourself. How tall is the chimney from the floor? When was it last cleaned?

welcome Hal. How large a space are you heating?

Welcome Hal, stick around.....
If I could type, this would be a long response. I'm not familiar with the Nortic at all. If leaks are causing smoke in the house, you have a poor draft problem. With good draft, the stove would be sucking fresh air through any leaks possibly causing an over-fire. Replacing the stove won't solve the draft problem. Finding another stove with the same vent height would be a coincidence, don't limit yourself. How tall is the chimney from the floor? When was it last cleaned?
29", clean it twice a year

Osburn 1100 might work with putting the legs on it, its around $1000

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Wood-..._a_7c3470002&gclid=CN6w3pyqwbkCFVFp7AodBwUA9A

OB01111.jpg

OB01111_1100_002-XLarge.jpg

Last edited:
I have an older farm house that has a masonry chimney. I had a stainless steel 6 inch flexible liner installed due to the age of the chimney. It has a fixed center thimble height of 28-1/2 ". I have an older Nordic stove (very similar to the Jøtul F 118 CB Black Bear ) that has become leaky. I rebuilt it about five years ago but never could get it tight to prevent smoking. I want to purchase a new stove, but need rear vent that will be the same height. Any suggestions on a stove with that height rear vent? Don't want to spend a fortune either!

Welcome to the forum Hal.

There are many stoves that you should consider. Do not think you are limited because of the thimble height. The reason for this is that many new stoves are short compared to some of the older stoves. For example, we installed a Woodstock Fireview www.woodstove.com but because this stove is so low (rear exhaust is 22 3/4" to center), we simply raised the hearth. This really has saved our backs! If we had installed the stove at floor level we'd be stooping every time we loaded the stove. As it is now, we simply sit down on a chair while loading the stove.

Here is one view of our stove. It does not show the raised hearth but it is 16" high. That picture was taken for someone showing our setup which has a sliding glass door and the wood stacked right by the door.

Stove-door.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.