• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hotspott

Nov 23, 2018
NC
I have a masonry fireplace and currently have a rear vented Vermont Castings Encore sitting on my hearth. It does not put out enough heat and is fussy about hardwood only so I'm looking for something larger. I've read some comments along the same issue. I like the Buck 261 very much but it stands 33" high and even with 2" legs my fireplace opening is 28" and too short unless the back vent slips below the 33" total height. Haven't seen one in person so can't judge that yet. The only other option is the QuadraFire Explorer which was mentioned here. Pretty pricey. I'll have to sell my Encore quickly. Don't understand why rear vented stoves are so limited. Anyone with a fireplace needs
one. Any input appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered putting in a 3 cu ft insert instead? That would open up new options.

Also, it there a damper area sealing blockoff plate above the stove?

The encore may be a lot of things, but a poor heater isn’t typically one of them.
What stove top temps are you seeing? Not griddle temps, but stove top temps.
Is the chimney lined all the way up? 6 or 8”?

Have you considered putting in a 3 cu ft insert instead? That would open up new options.

Also, it there a damper area sealing blockoff plate above the stove?
I want to cook on the stove, therefore an insert would not work. The block off plate has been dealt
with, I believe, by my installer when installing the Vermont Castings Encore presently in place.
Thanks for the input, though!

The encore may be a lot of things, but a poor heater isn’t typically one of them.
What stove top temps are you seeing? Not griddle temps, but stove top temps.
Is the chimney lined all the way up? 6 or 8”?

I don't have a stove thermometer. The chimney has a new 6" liner all the way up.
Thanks.

Perhaps a Woodstock? The Progress Hybrid with short legs would work, the Fireview would work, and the Ideal Steel would work at one of the lower height settings - I think you could put the IS to the second lowest setting, which allows for the ashpan, and if you flip the flue exit piece upside down (which works, you just have to ask Woodstock about it) it would make it in at under 28. The PH and FV are pricy, the IS is less. Great stoves, can cook on them, and they’ll likely save you some wood.

Yes, I was thinking Woodstock too. Visually going from the beautiful Encore to the industrial look of the IS is going to be a big jump, but maybe the PH would be ok.

Perhaps a Woodstock? The Progress Hybrid with short legs would work, the Fireview would work, and the Ideal Steel would work at one of the lower height settings - I think you could put the IS to the second lowest setting, which allows for the ashpan, and if you flip the flue exit piece upside down (which works, you just have to ask Woodstock about it) it would make it in at under 28. The PH and FV are pricy, the IS is less. Great stoves, can cook on them, and they’ll likely save you some wood.
Yes, if money was no object, it sounds like a great stove. But I recently spent over $3000 on my Encore and using it as a second stove in the bedroom after building a chimney is just pricing me out. If I can sell the Encore, then I can proceed. Thanks for the input! A lot of helpful
information and appreciated! Should have found this site before I purchased!

We still haven’t hammered down why the encore isn’t producing heat. It’s a respectable heater! I’m not sure moving to a stone stove would be the way to go, if you aren’t happy with the cast iron.

@webby3650 the manual has the thermometer right on the center of the griddle.
I’ve always found that the griddle gives a temp that’s not consistent with the rest of the stove. The griddle will read 900 at times when the rest of the stove is averaging 600. A good average temperature is what I’m looking for.

We still haven’t hammered down why the encore isn’t producing heat. It’s a respectable heater! I’m not sure moving to a stone stove would be the way to go, if you aren’t happy with the cast iron.
I'm thinking the Encore has been slowly degrading and it is no longer putting out like it did in 1994.

I never saw anything about the age of it. Only that’s it’s a new liner and he just spent $3K on the encore. I’m assuming it’s new.