Reasonable Prices?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

treee

Jul 18, 2022
VA
Renovating a 20x20 cottage in Southwest Virginia, ~3000 ft elevation, has first floor and unfinished basement stove hookups, cement block chimney.
Old basement stove is cast iron with many splits along the seams.
Doesn't pull well and the flue plate lever is rusted.
I'll likely reweld that one later.

Looking at a Jotul F602 for the first floor, which should be enough.
Basement looking at a Jotul F45 or similar.
I'd like to take the F602 with me to my next living situation.

I received quotes from my nearest local Jotul-compatible dealer.

$1400 602
$2800 45
$3600 55

Are these prices reasonable?
I'd like to spend the money wisely, considering I'll move the upstairs stove with me.
The unfinished basement stove I'll leave here after selling.

Would it make sense to get a US stove locally for a fraction of these prices?
Atleast for the basement.

$800 Forester ~2000sqft claimed
$400 Small cast iron ~900 sqft claimed

Looking for advice to carry the dollars as far as they can go this winter and the next few here.

The F45 is probably fancier than needed for the basement. Look at the mid-sized Drolets and True North TN20 for a comparison. Both will be under $2000.

What shape and size are the chimney liners?

Reactions: treee
The F45 is probably fancier than needed for the basement. Look at the mid-sized Drolets and True North TN20 for a comparison. Both will be under $2000.

What shape and size are the chimney liners?
The flue piping used previously is 6" in diameter.
No clue on the liners.

Is purchasing a stove through Amazon reliable whatsoever?

Also, any comment on the prices?
The price of the cheaper US stove units albeit presumably low quality is still an attractive value proposition.

The flue piping used previously is 6" in diameter.
No clue on the liners.
You need to figure out the condition of the liners before doing anything else honestly. If they aren't useable replacing them can easily cost as much as a stove

Is purchasing a stove through Amazon reliable whatsoever?

Also, any comment on the prices?
The price of the cheaper US stove units albeit presumably low quality is still an attractive value proposition.
There are very good budget stoves out there. In general is stove company stoves are not good quality though. Look at drolet

You need to figure out the condition of the liners before doing anything else honestly. If they aren't useable replacing them can easily cost as much as a stove
The house was built in 1961, the chimney was worked on probably around 2008.
They "put a new cap on it" and some other stuff according to the guy I bought the property from.
I can likely get someone to come look at it even though I'm pretty far out from a city.
We ran a couple fires on it before.

I'll do some research.

The house was built in 1961, the chimney was worked on probably around 2008.
They "put a new cap on it" and some other stuff according to the guy I bought the property from.
I can likely get someone to come look at it even though I'm pretty far out from a city.
We ran a couple fires on it before.

I'll do some research.
Clay liners have a projected lifespan between é0 and 40 years. Yours are way past that at this point

Renovating a 20x20 cottage in Southwest Virginia, ~3000 ft elevation, has first floor and unfinished basement stove hookups, cement block chimney.
Old basement stove is cast iron with many splits along the seams.
Doesn't pull well and the flue plate lever is rusted.
I'll likely reweld that one later.

Looking at a Jotul F602 for the first floor, which should be enough.
Basement looking at a Jotul F45 or similar.
I'd like to take the F602 with me to my next living situation.

I received quotes from my nearest local Jotul-compatible dealer.

$1400 602
$2800 45
$3600 55

Are these prices reasonable?
I'd like to spend the money wisely, considering I'll move the upstairs stove with me.
The unfinished basement stove I'll leave here after selling.

Would it make sense to get a US stove locally for a fraction of these prices?
Atleast for the basement.

$800 Forester ~2000sqft claimed
$400 Small cast iron ~900 sqft claimed

Looking for advice to carry the dollars as far as they can go this winter and the next few here.

Last March I brought a new 602 for around a grand plus tax from a dealer,I have no idea what a new eco model might cost.