rebuild of Hearthsone wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claytonduk

Sep 25, 2009
new york
I currently own a Dutchwest Sequoia wood stove and have had to rebuild it severel times since it was new in 1993. I am weighing the differences in doing another rebuild or buying a new stove. Do Hearthstone stoves need to be rebuilt very often (every 2 years) or do you get 6 + years of use before they need rebuilding? Any comments greatly appreciated!!

Rebuilding any stove more than once every 10-20 years is a problem in my book. There are several stoves out there that can help break this habit. Hearthstones may need a ceramic board and gasket replacement every 3-5 years but that is far from a rebuild. Other stoves may have even less maintenance required.

I have only rebuilt one Hearthstone stove - a Heritage - in the last 9 years, & that
was only because of a cracked soapstone panel in the side of the unit.
It's a major PITA doing this because of the amount of the glue needed
in the reassembly.
Every stone panel is interlocked with steel splines to the others...
Other than that, the gaskets & maybe the baffle are the only "wear" parts...

One of the reasons I bought a hearthstone is that it would never need to be rebuilt. Only reason you would rebuild it is if you overfired and broke it. The gaskets and baffle board mentioned above are the same thing that almost all non-cat stoves need periodically. Cast iron stoves are "supposed" to be rebuilt every so often which is a bad deal in my book.

I sure hope i don't hafta rebuild this sucker any time soon!! New rope gaskets next spring, other'n that, so long as i don't break it, it ain't gettin' fixed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.