Airtight wood circulator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wybroncos

Dec 23, 2019
Nebraska
I posted a few weeks ago about our struggles with our Dutchwest 2461. After nearly rebuilding it and finding more wrong with it than good we have decided to move on. I believe it has been overfired and possibly spent some time outside. It’s ROUGH. Rougher than I thought it was.

Anyway, our neighbor is bringing over his spare “airtight” wood circulator in the morning so that we have something for heat until we can buy a replacement stove. Is there anything I need to know about the wood circulator? I don’t know the manufacturer or anything about it. I’m having trouble finding meaningful information on line about wood circulators in general. I just want to make sure we aren’t inviting even more trouble into the house. I’ll update in the morning when I know the manufacture and year. Thank you!

They used to be pretty common. There are some post on them, but usually by the brand name. Ashley made some. The main thing is to be sure that the flue size is correct, it is in safe, working condition, and all clearance requirements are met. They are not particularly efficient, but will put out some heat. Some are thermostatically regulated.

They used to be pretty common. There are some post on them, but usually by the brand name. Ashley made some. The main thing is to be sure that the flue size is correct, it is in safe, working condition, and all clearance requirements are met. They are not particularly efficient, but will put out some heat. Some are thermostatically regulated.
It’s a Sears automatic wood/coal circulator. No idea of the year. I’m trying to search previous posts now.

IMG_0258.jpeg IMG_0259.jpeg

There are a lot of those style stoves in use, I had one years ago in my shop. It's definitely a bit of a wood eater more than a heater compared to more modern stoves. Every appliance store and lumber yard sold that style stove and they were in a lot of homes especially with the designer style cabinet, big selling point. Mine had a slide out ash pan under the fire grates.
looks like you're a little close on the wall if it's combustible. mine was near a block wall in a shop.

Looks like it was made by US Stove Co. for Sears. They still sell them under the Ashley brand as coal circulators to get around regulations. Make sure the firebox is fully intact with no holes.

There are a lot of those style stoves in use, I had one years ago in my shop. It's definitely a bit of a wood eater more than a heater compared to more modern stoves. Every appliance store and lumber yard sold that style stove and they were in a lot of homes especially with the designer style cabinet, big selling point. Mine had a slide out ash pan under the fire grates.
looks like you're a little close on the wall if it's combustible. mine was near a block wall in a shop.
Thank you! Yes it was to close in that picture, they had just brought it in and set it down. We got it all set up with proper clearances now. Thank you!

Looks like it was made by US Stove Co. for Sears. They still sell them under the Ashley brand as coal circulators to get around regulations. Make sure the firebox is fully intact with no holes.
Thank you! Every thing looks good, I didn’t find any holes when I was cleaning it and looking it over.