Rebuilding Jotul F 3 CB -- furnace cement or dry joints?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Lehet

Nov 9, 2013
Vermont
Thanks in advance!

Replacing the heat shields in my Jotul F 3 CB, I have the entire stove apart. I found some old furnace cement in there. When I went to buy some at the local stove shop, the guy (who was not friendly or helpful) insisted that I not use it, that I would "create more problems."

I bought this stove used, and it had already been rebuilt. I know the baffle was new when I bought it, but I don't know how much else the guy did. That seller bought it when it had been overfired and the baffle ruined, and he fixed it up. One thing I found about this stove after I bought it is that one side of it had been exposed to some water, I guess in storage, like on the outside of an open shed maybe, and one side had some rust, which also is present in the joints, where the outside pieces fit together.

Cement or dry joints?

Thanks in advance!

Replacing the heat shields in my Jotul F 3 CB, I have the entire stove apart. I found some old furnace cement in there. When I went to buy some at the local stove shop, the guy (who was not friendly or helpful) insisted that I not use it, that I would "create more problems."

I bought this stove used, and it had already been rebuilt. I know the baffle was new when I bought it, but I don't know how much else the guy did. That seller bought it when it had been overfired and the baffle ruined, and he fixed it up. One thing I found about this stove after I bought it is that one side of it had been exposed to some water, I guess in storage, like on the outside of an open shed maybe, and one side had some rust, which also is present in the joints, where the outside pieces fit together.

Cement or dry joints?
Cement or it will leak like a sieve

Jotul uses a high quality stove cement for the seams that is more like a refractory cement. The closest that I have seen to it is sold for Hearthstone stoves.