Recommend enclosed cargo trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is gear, or DIY.

I need a maybe 5x8' enclosed trailer for highway use. Should be secure- as in- can lock the hell out of it.

I'll be using it to haul pottery stuff to shows.- so it doesn't need to handle a cord of wood or anything

I've seen a mess of brand names- Cargopro, Wells Cargo, etc- any suggestions on brand, wheel options, etc would be appreciated

Not sure I can recommend a good one, but knowing approx cargo weight and tow vehicle will be helpful info for those in the know.

I've never had one (I do have a dump & a utility), but all the Wells Cargo trailers I've ever seen looked very well built and nice & secure to me. Rick

Pace American is back in business (they made very good trailers) and as Fossil recommended, Wells Cargo is a well-known player in the business as well.

My Pace American shop trailer houses a lot of $$ in tools and equipment. Both side doors and the rear ramp lock up tight with padlocks or the side doors also have their own locks and deadbolts.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
I have a 6x12 I use as a work trailer (carpenter/contractor) I have to disagree with the Wells Cargo. I see them on the road all the time and are surpised at the poor quality. Maybe the old ones were better, but the newer ones don't look so robust.
Mine is at a jobsite, and I can't remember the name. I will get back to you.

If you will be using the trailer in the winter, get an all aluminum model. They all have aluminum sides but the ones with steel frames will turn into a rusty mess in no time. Also spring for aluminum wheels. The white painted steel wheels will be the first thing to start rusting.

Look for a trailer that has a torsion axle instead of leaf springs. It works like independent suspension and gives a smoother ride.

You can always add a hockey puck style lock and shackle to whatever the trailer comes with.
http://www.masterlock.com/products/product_details/6270

I think that most trailers come with L.E.D. lights now days.

Update, Mine is a CarMate. Over the years I've noticed a few things that better trailers have like, galvanized hinges and locking bars. The lightweight (shiny stuff) doens't last.

Status
Not open for further replies.