Recommendation for splitting wedge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MissMac

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2017
NW Ontario
Hey all, I’m looking to buy a couple of splitting wedges, and was wondering if anyone could recommend one? I’ve got some stuff that’s a little big to put on my electric log splitter and would like to work on them with some wedges. Thoughts?

Reactions: Todd67
Tractor Supply carries some 4 or 5 pound wedges that work well for me. Other big box stores probably carry something similar.

Reactions: MissMac
I keep (1) grenade type (piece of junk) and (3) strait blades wedges, I like the strait blades because i can cut a 2" deep groove with the chainsaw and put the wedges along the same path and work them all together (talking about splitting +35" wood)

I keep (1) grenade type (piece of junk) and (3) strait blades wedges, I like the strait blades because i can cut a 2" deep groove with the chainsaw and put the wedges along the same path and work them all together (talking about splitting +35" wood)
by grenade piece of junk, do you just mean one that you've mushroomed out through use, or is that actually some sort of wedge?

The grenade wedge is s 4-way sorta wedge.

Reactions: MissMac
You need a minimum of three wedges. Two to start the split and one to get the other two wedges out.

Just kidding. Sort of. But do not undervalue the usefulness of a stob.

Reactions: saewoody and Todd67
You need a minimum of three wedges. Two to start the split and one to get the other two wedges out.

+1 for having at least 3 wedges. I prefer grenades because they're easier to start and less likely to bounce out, but I also have regular flat wedges for opening up splits in tough rounds. I have a couple of these grenades and they meet most of my needs:
roughneck splitting grenade.jpg

okay, thanks for all the advice fellas

What’s a stob?

Stob (n.) A small, straight piece of wood. Stake. Post.

In wood harvesting a stob is a small limb cut to the desired length with a wedge chopped on one end. You use it just like a really big wedge to force the log apart once you have a split started with your iron wedges.

They are typically made from a two to three inch limb about 18" long, but I've cut some about 30" when needed.

In wood harvesting a stob is a small limb cut to the desired length with a wedge chopped on one end. You use it just like a really big wedge to force the log apart once you have a split started with your iron wedges.

They are typically made from a two to three inch limb about 18" long, but I've cut some about 30" when needed.

I hadn't thought of this, I'm glad I read this thread!

Thanks! That was some great insight!

Reactions: SpaceBus
Just ordered a graintex blaster grenade type wedge and one of those estwings online.

Looking forward to getting through some of these big rounds in my driveway! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Now all you need is a stob