Recommendation on gasket adhesive for CAT bypass GM60

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Good Day, I am in need to secure some gasket material to the CAT bypass on my GM60. The factory gasket just sits in a grove on the bypass with no adhesive. When touched for cleaning, the gasket is very fragile to dropping out of the grove. I don't see why adding adhesive would be an issue. I was hoping not to use gasket cement if possible. I see that the high temp silicon based sealants are only good for 600F, which I do not think is high enough for this purpose being so close to the CAT. I see Rutland has a water based Latex product rated at continuous 800F. Might be a better choice? Any other recommendations? Issues with doing this?

Thanks, Dave

Good Day, I am in need to secure some gasket material to the CAT bypass on my GM60. The factory gasket just sits in a grove on the bypass with no adhesive. When touched for cleaning, the gasket is very fragile to dropping out of the grove. I don't see why adding adhesive would be an issue. I was hoping not to use gasket cement if possible. I see that the high temp silicon based sealants are only good for 600F, which I do not think is high enough for this purpose being so close to the CAT. I see Rutland has a water based Latex product rated at continuous 800F. Might be a better choice? Any other recommendations? Issues with doing this?

Thanks, Dave

Blaze king has a bypass gasket in a groove right next to the cat where it gets hotter than heck. They specifiy a special gasket adhesive that would seem to be a perfect match for your application. Call them up or a BK dealer to get bypass gasket adhesive. It's runnier that the typical RTV that we use on the door gasket.

Cement = just a bit more of an issue to clean up when changing, also has a tendency to harden the gasket if you apply too much. In my experience.

Highbeam - will do thanks. Good to know. I will track it down.

On my green mountain I simply used a bit of clear packing tape to hold my gasket in place on the cat when installing. Once the cat comes up to temp it will burn off. When I had my cats out I was able to reuse the gasket with this method. No cement required.

I’m pretty sure when the cat is glowing hot while active it’s is over 1000 degrees

Rob_Red, not the CAT gasket, but the gasket around the CAT bypass door. My fault, I should have explained better. It is an 1/4 inch rope type. I do like your idea on the packing tape though when taking out the CAT itself, thanks!

Reactions: Rob_Red
A lot of us use regular masking tape for the same purpose. It burns off when the cat gets hot but I’d rather not use plastic packing tape.

Reactions: cabinwarmer