Recommendation to replace Empyre Elite 100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reog

Oct 20, 2014
ontario
Hi all,

Read through a lot of post in the forum but after a few dozen pages hadn't found a direct answer to boiler recommendation. I run my Empyre Elite in a garage about 30 feet from house and it has been great when it worked. (Replaced once under warranty already, now they are out of business)

I don't want to make the same mistake and get a boiler from a non-reputable company. I seen Garn, and EKO and a few other mentioned here but would like some solid references to back up the longevity out of these companies. If I got 10-15 years out of a 6-10000 dollar boiler with minor yearly maintenance I would be happy. The Empyre has been a pain in the ass. It is on an open system and I don't currently have any water storage other that the water in the boiler and the lines.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks

reog

Heatmaster G series would have similar hookup but much lower maintenance. UL rated for indoors or outdoors.
I have found the company to be honest too.

Last edited:
If I got 10-15 years out of a 6-10000 dollar boiler with minor yearly maintenance I would be happy.

It is on an open system and I don't currently have any water storage other that the water in the boiler and the lines.

reog

Hi reog,

a pressurized hydronic heater may cost a bit more than your top end on the pricing. Then add the expansion tank, then a lot of folks on this forum will convince you into getting "some" water storage.

If you want your hydronic heater to last longer than 10 years, you definitely want some water storage. It prevents idling, which is where most of the issues stem from. Also saves you a lot of wood to split and season.

There are some more DIY ways of using vented (open) water storage, but operating your hydronic heater behind a plate heat exchanger where you can pressurize it. Some use bulk tanks, re-purposed propane tanks or buy those weird Styrofoam kits with an EPDM membrane.
Enjoy!

Reactions: logger6644
Econoburn with at least 500 gals of storage , will give you a 25 year warranty and allow the boiler to burn efficiently.

Deleted...

Last edited:
I know a Heatmore dealer who also works on any other make of OWB and Gassers. He told me that based on his experience, Econoburn's need storage in order to run effectively.

I know a Heatmore dealer who also works on any other make of OWB and Gassers. He told me that based on his experience, Econoburn's need storage in order to run effectively.

I think that would then be true of all gasifiers then right?

In my experience not necessarily... Would depend on firebox material (SS v. steel), air channel design, maybe some other factors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karl_northwind
In my experience not necessarily... Would depend on firebox material (SS v. steel), air channel design, maybe some other factors.
Any gasser is happier burning full bore, but some (like the G100 I'm burning) are very tolerant of low heat loads and cycling. But it took years of designing just for that style of burning. Didn't get perfected overnight.
And I'm sure it'll keep getting tweaked.

You wouldn't happen to be a Heatmaster dealer would you?

I install for one. And have messed around with outdoor gassers a fair amount.
Have become very optimistic about the future of the outdoor wood boilers since the EPA ruling in 2015 has forced a lot of innovation. Several of the manufacturers are making big strides in designing better and easier to use boilers.

Last edited:
I install for one. And have messed around with outdoor gassers a fair amount.
Have become very optimistic about the future of the outdoor wood boilers since the EPA ruling in 2015 has forced a lot of innovation. Several of the manufacturers are making big strides in designing better and easier to use boilers.

Most people would appreciate notification that you are a dealer / installer when giving advice on boiler purchases. I know you are enthusiastic about your product, it has been quite evident in past posts with negative tone on other brands.

My apologies... I will try to refrain from involving myself in discussion on brands.
I've lurked for years, and wished for more representation from the perspective of the outdoor boilers as being an option. Regardless of the brand.
Thanks for the advice. I am attempting to delete some posts. Some older posts I'm not able to edit?

Last edited:

Not true, I've installed a number of Econoburns without thermal storage and they run very "effectively", especially their indoor models. If the OP is looking to "maximize" performance thermal storage is a great idea but the cost and the space consumed can sometimes interfere with that plan. If he really wants the benefits of thermal storage he should take a look at a Garn Jr., hard to beat for efficiency, simplicity and durability. I've installed every brand of wood boiler under the sun and nothing matches the Garn for out of the box performance and long-term customer satisfaction. Plus the damn thing will last forever if properly cared for.

If you haven't looked at the Switzer boiler, check it out. I've only had it for one season, but couldn't be happier with the purchase. Gary only has certain sizes listed on the website but he will build one to fit your space if you call him. You could look at my thread

Hi all,

Read through a lot of post in the forum but after a few dozen pages hadn't found a direct answer to boiler recommendation. I run my Empyre Elite in a garage about 30 feet from house and it has been great when it worked. (Replaced once under warranty already, now they are out of business)

I don't want to make the same mistake and get a boiler from a non-reputable company. I seen Garn, and EKO and a few other mentioned here but would like some solid references to back up the longevity out of these companies. If I got 10-15 years out of a 6-10000 dollar boiler with minor yearly maintenance I would be happy. The Empyre has been a pain in the ass. It is on an open system and I don't currently have any water storage other that the water in the boiler and the lines.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks

reog
Hi, I've run an Empire Elite 100 since 2011, replaced under warranty once, like you located in a garage away from house. I run the heated water from the boiler thru a plate heat exchanger and 300 feet of pex tubing sunk in 300 gallons of water in an insulated tank. This is simple and works well as storage, keeping it separate from the heating system on the other side of the plate exchanger.
However, that being said, I have struggled all these years with boiler performance and creosote . I just discovered a major manufacturing defect in the boiler that was simple to correct. The fan sits on a gasket on the input side. This is difficult to see, but removing the fan for cleaning and reinstalling it, I noticed a significant gap in the gasket, over 1/4 inch. I then replaced the gasket with a thicker foam gasket to make a seal. I always had a lukewarm secondary burn at best. After sealing the fan , I now have the best secondary burn I've ever had, and much less ash and creosote . I hope this might help you and any other Empire owners still out there.

I went from the 100 to a Garn Jr. they are expensive with the dollar exchange . So time will tell if it was worth it.

So thanks to everyone for their great replies. To continue my story, my father in-law was selling his house and felt the boiler would not be a benefit to his sale as his house is on the edge of town and the new owners probably wouldn't have a woodlot. He gave me his Epyre Elite which was the upsize to mine and at the time didn't leak. After running for a couple of years his is now leaking and this morning there seemed to be a short in the wiring/fan which was blowing fuses. Back to replacement! The Garn and Switzer models look way to big to fit my install needs. The doors on my garage, the side I put the boiler on, are only 36" with the trim removed, no way I am squeezing either of these two units in. I did see someone mention custom sizes for the Switzer down to 30" inches.

So looks like Econoburn, I tried to call from work this morning but got cut off, will have to try again later.

So thanks to everyone for their great replies. To continue my story, my father in-law was selling his house and felt the boiler would not be a benefit to his sale as his house is on the edge of town and the new owners probably wouldn't have a woodlot. He gave me his Epyre Elite which was the upsize to mine and at the time didn't leak. After running for a couple of years his is now leaking and this morning there seemed to be a short in the wiring/fan which was blowing fuses. Back to replacement! The Garn and Switzer models look way to big to fit my install needs. The doors on my garage, the side I put the boiler on, are only 36" with the trim removed, no way I am squeezing either of these two units in. I did see someone mention custom sizes for the Switzer down to 30" inches.

So looks like Econoburn, I tried to call from work this morning but got cut off, will have to try again later.

Choices are really limited on the indoor gassers since the June 2020 regs went into effect - Froling is still available, Effecta is not. I love my Attack but not certified EPA 2020 so I'm not sure you can buy one- perhaps if for a commercial application you could. Several outdoor units available but don't think any of those will fit through a 36" wide opening and only a few are approved for use in a building. You might check out the Vedolux units at smokelessheat.com

I would take a look at a Polar Furnace G Series. They are very simple design and just got approval for the 2020 epa. I have been eyeing them up for a while but stumbled on a slightly used Heatmaster g100 for a price I couldn't turn down. Working on installing it in my garage for the house as we speak.

Comparing the two brands side by side the Polar is definitely built heavier about 2x comparing similar firebox sizes.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Polar G2plus for the farm down the road.

Screenshot_20201122-091330_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20201122-092623_Drive.jpg