Recommended wedges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

neverbilly

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2015
Arkansas, USA
I have two plastic wedges, I don't know how long they are, maybe 6"? I want to buy a couple more. How long a wedge do I need for felling (hardwoods)? Any brand anyone likes?

What about for splitting the occasional round? I have a wood splitter but I might come across a large DBH tree and need to split some rounds. What type of wedge for splitting? And then what do you guys whack it with, lol?

You can buy small plastic felling wedges in most stores that sell chainsaws, including big box stores. I've used Stihl, Husqvarna, and an off brand from a local farm store, and they all get the job done. Whether for felling or bucking, I almost always have one in my pocket when cutting.

Longer wedges are used on larger diameter wood. I don't think I've used one on wood less than 20". Get them at online or at dedicated chainsaw dealers (all the Stihl dealers around me keep them in stock). You can double up or "stack" wedges to get greater height. There are also plenty of discussions on cutting your own hardwood wedges. Just pay attention to wood species and grain direction.

Steel splitting wedges can be a long discussion. There are standard "pie slice" wedges and other designs such as the "grenade" type. There are folks who will swear by one design or the other. Having more than one wedge handy helps with tough rounds.

Monitor the striking head for mushrooming and cracking. Repair or retire these so a metal shard won't fly off and injure you or others. ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION. I also recommend wearing chainsaw chaps in case you misstrike the wedge and have it come at your legs. To prevent a wedge from flying off, you cut a starter groove in the round for the wedge.

You can use whatever maul or sledge hammer you like. I prefer to use a heavier 10 lb. sledge with a synthetic handle. The synthetic handle doesn't break when I miss. ;em

Last edited:
For splitting wedges i like to have at least three on hand so when i get the second one stuck i can think longer and harder before i place the third one.

I dont have a lot of experience with felling wedges. I do have a pair that interlock, a little safer maybe than just jamming 2 on top of each other. I dont recall how much extra i paid for that little bit of peace of mind.

I've had better luck with traditional steel splitting wedges than the 4 way wedges that they sell. But it is good to have 3-4 on hand for the big stuff. The only felling wedge I have I bought for was for wedging open the top of the car door for when my wife locks her keys in her car and then informs me "those were the spares; I lost the other set". It has happened a few times. Now I also make an extra copy once in a while too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the basic pie slice steel wedges, and the eye protection. If you're only going to use the wedges on big stuff, the grenade style will be useless imo. You'll want a few for when you bury the first couple. :) On the eye protection, the first time you catch a metal sliver in the face, the glasses will have paid for themselves. Doesn't hurt much in the forehead, but the eyeball probably won't take it so well.

Reactions: saewoody